Back to School Sports Updates

Tess Wolf, Features Editor

After a year of limited spectators and restrictions on sports teams, Quaker Sports is back and better than ever. Maddie Osborne ‘22 explained, “…because of Covid, all anyone really wanted to be was outside, and because our team didn’t have preseason last year, I think we were even more excited to be back on the field towards the end of summer.” Each team gained many new freshmen and even sophomores who could not play last year. Here’s a little bit about each of our teams. 

Volleyball:

Unlike last year, volleyball has both a varsity and JV team this year. The varsity team participated in three scrimmages during the preseason and won their first game against Sanford 3-0. As Reena Robinson ‘22, explained, “I think that the scrimmages were necessary in order to have the confidence that our team had going into the normal season.”

For new team members, preseason helped with the transition to high school sports. Elizabeth Pisano ‘25 shared that even with the added level of competition, “I love playing with girls that are older than me and that have a different skill level because it encourages me to work even harder.” With 15 games on the schedule, Friends volleyball is ready for a promising season. 

Field Hockey:

Thirty girls make up the WFS field hockey team this year. Even in the August heat, they ran and practiced almost every day to prepare for their first few games of the season. Sawyer Rowland ‘25 shared how she bonded with the team during the first two weeks. “I got to know many upperclassmen better as a person and player. It is a fun group of girls with some great leaders and athletes. Everyone was incredibly welcoming to all the freshmen.”

These girls played like a team in their first games against Sanford when both the JV and varsity won, giving everyone a good feeling about the rest of their season.

Football: 

The football team crushed their first game against Delmar High School, winning 28-0. The solid win was the product of many challenging practices during preseason and the first week of school. 

Osi Chukwuocha ‘22 explained, “I was very glad to see the underclassmen giving 100% even in the summer heat. We did a lot of conditioning during preseason and I think that was very beneficial to us. It was easy to see the benefits when Delmar’s Football Team was out of breath but our team was ready to keep pounding.”

One of those underclassmen, Eamonn Grubb ‘25 participated in high school sports for the first time and said, “Some days when I would wake up during preseason, I wouldn’t want to get out of bed knowing I had a day full of hard hitting football. But once I stepped on that field, I felt like I belonged.”

Their preseason consisted of two scrimmages and learning plays, coverages, and formations almost every day. They even spent a day hosting athletes from Special Olympics Delaware and doing drills together!