The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Newest Hot Trend - Safety
Tripp Young ‘25, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
Tortured or Chart-topping?
Annie Rosenthal ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
April Music
Emma Lavelle ‘26, Staff Writter • May 29, 2024
The Mysterious J.R.
Scarlett Murphy ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

Mr. Scott: Dearly Departing

With Mr. Scott’s departure from Wilmington Friends School on the horizon, some questions are spiraling about among the student body. Of these include,“Where is he going?” or, “What does he do outside of teaching?” Here are some answers to your eager questions!

With twenty seven years of teaching under his belt, what has he learned? Mr. Scott replied to the question, “What’s one thing that students here have taught you?” with, “I love the little things, just the ways that I can have my perception shifted or knowledge shifted. It happens a lot.”

What are some things that Mr. Scott values in Wilmington Friends School? He stated, “It’s the only Quaker school that I’ve worked at. I think that makes a big difference just in terms of the collaboration between students and faculty. That feeling of community is stronger here…This year, Find Club has been really nice. That’s one of the most joyful clubs that I’ve advised.”

And now, here are the questions you have all been waiting for.

Responding to the question “Where are you going now?” Mr. Scott said, “We’re moving to Pittsburgh, and my wife is starting a new job over there. She’s the College Counseling Director. I am going to be getting into a library science master’s degree and working in libraries or museums or doing archival work.” Do any Pittsburgh Friends wish to have a new librarian?

But what does Mr. Scott do in his free time? Reminiscing on old memories, Mr. Scott is reminded of a hiking trip from his childhood. “It’s a hiking trip that I took during the summer out in the Rockies. And how much I just loved the adventure, the exploring, the nature, all of those things continue to be important to me today in different ways.” They are important to him today, as we still see hiking as one of his hobbies. Mr. Scott reveals, “I love cooking. I love to try new recipes or just refine good ones. I play soccer on a small pickup team around my place. I love to read. I’ve got a big stack of books that I’m hopefully going to be able to get to at some point. Yeah, and hiking. I just like to go for walks.”

One bit of advice that Mr. Scott would like to share with everybody is a valuable practice in life. “I’m just trying to leave room for growth, I think,” Mr. Scott says.
“Every five years, you should look
back and wonder who that person
was five years ago in a little way.”