The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Newest Hot Trend - Safety
Tripp Young ‘25, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
Tortured or Chart-topping?
Annie Rosenthal ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
April Music
Emma Lavelle ‘26, Staff Writter • May 29, 2024
The Mysterious J.R.
Scarlett Murphy ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

When Am I Ever Going to Use This?

We all have our favorite academic subject. Whether it be math, English, foreign language, computer science, music, physics, or something else, we can all agree that the class we like the most is the least miserable part of our school day. But which subject is the most important? This is a question that has been thrown around for generations with no concrete answer. What better way to get an answer than to ask the teachers themselves?

One of the most widely agreed-upon answers is that math is the most important school subject. Math is a class that most students take throughout their entire school experience, from 1st grade to 12th. But is it really the most important? When asked for his opinion on what the most important academic subject is, 9th & 10th grade math and physics teacher Mr. Bennett said, “If I say anything other than math or physics my department is going to kill me but I would say math. It’s a core part of college entry SAT testing and helps you get into good, respected schools”. On the traditionally opposite side of the academic spectrum, 2nd semester English teacher Miss Suh stated, “I think it’s English. In our current day, we mainly receive information passively, however when you write, it is an exercise of producing something of your own. English teaches you how to make your own opinions about what you’re being presented with”.

Thinking for ourselves is something that many struggle with, especially nowadays due to social media influences and pop culture idols.

On an adjacent branch of the academic tree lies global history. The subject of history takes on many forms here at Friends, including American history, Global Peace & Justice, and History of Europe and the Mediterranean, and more. When asked about her thoughts on what the most important school subject was, Ms. K, student teacher and assistant choir instructor said, “History, it’s important to know the foundation of where we came from, the mistakes we made, and how to make better decisions for the future.” Performing arts teacher and choir instructor Mrs. Butterfield agreed with Miss K’s statement, saying, “If we don’t understand what’s happened before, we are doomed to make the same mistakes again”.

Making an argument for English, history, or math being the most important subject is an easy task, but what about some of the less frequently discussed courses that don’t have an initially visible sense of importance to everyone? Why go ‘all in’ on a subject like music? Mrs. Butterfield says, “Music has been influenced by every aspect of human life, so if you ignore its influence on the world, you are missing the bigger picture. The other thing about music is it gives every person, no matter their ability, a way to find self expression”.

Ms. K, student teacher, goes on to state “I think that music shapes people, while other subjects are still important. Music teaches people how to be people, builds skills, and how to enjoy life beyond the main subjects.” Another subject that often gets under looked is visual arts. Many schools who experience a lack of funding are not even able to offer art programs. Upper school art teacher MarryRobertson says, “Art is not just about your natural skill. It’s about how to read visual information opposed to something that is already spelled out for you…However the most important academic subject is the one you’re most interested in. The reason why is because learning is so much more productive when you’re interested in it. Whatever you feel curious about is the most important thing”. This way of looking at school gives us a different perspective on what really is most vital to focus on. Mary says, “The idea of school is that you’re learning how to think through problems. That’s often what I explain to people about art. It’s not just about your skill as an artist, it’s about how you think through problems.”

At the end of the day, school teaches us how to handle a workload, manage time, and most importantly, how to be a part of a community. There is no one most important subject. It is important to form your own opinions on what is most important to you as a person. Of course, every class is important and teaches you a different lesson, but it is up to you to choose what you take from each one, and which truly resonates with your desire to learn.