xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Patriotic Parking Lot

Patriotic+Parking+Lot

As we all know, the student parking lot at Friends is lacking in spaces. Every day about 20 students end up having to pull onto the side of the baseball field to park, and the number just keeps growing. The other day students were almost as far as the tennis courts. Luckily the problem has been solved, in a Red, White, and Blue way. As a solution, Donald Morton, Friends school alum and current History teacher, proposed the idea of only certain colored cars being allowed to park. When asked to defend his point of view Morton stated: “It’s really quite simple. The people who don’t drive patriotic-colored cars can’t use our parking spots inspired by great American infrastructure”.  The students have varying opinions on this, from loving it to being absolutely appalled. These opinions may or may not be tied to the color of the car they drive. Mateo Niiler ’24, owner of a tan-colored car, states: “I think encouraging the use of only red, white, and blue cars has a significant environmental cost because there are very few older cars in those colors. This promotes wastefulness, which is not one of the Quaker values.” On the other hand, white car owner Grae Mooney-Doyle ’24 states: “I’m so grateful to be a part of the chosen few who get to use the school parking lot, God bless America, and thank you Uncle Sam.” Other solutions were proposed in business meetings before this one was passed, like only allowing seniors to drive to school. The Juniors did not approve, as if we asked for their opinion. Students are taking this new rule personally After getting a “late to school”  Niiler states: “I feel offended that Mr. Morton thinks he can stop me winning arguments against him by preventing me from getting to school.” Will this new rule make us more patriotic than the Hillers? We may never know.  

Leave a Comment
More to Discover
About the Contributor
Kendall Law
Kendall Law, Junior Editor
Kendall Law is an editor for the Whittier and has been on the paper for the past 4 years. Kendall was first interested in newspaper writing after a project in 7th grade and was excited to find out Friends had one when she came here in 9th grade. Currently, Kendall is a junior editor.  Outside school, she works at a preschool, plays tennis, and enjoys doing things with her friends.

Comments (0)

All The Whittier Miscellany Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *