The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Wilmington Friends School Implements ROTC Program

The Wilmington Friends School community is happy to announce the installation of the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program in school. The JROTC program will be led by Katie Bryan ’24 and Collier Zug ’24. These two individuals feel as though they want to leave a strong impact on the school. After spending their entire lives being Quakers and promoting non-violence in their communities they’ve decided to make a different kind of impact. Zug was quoted saying, “I think it’s time Wilmington Friends spends more time and money funding future army and navy reserve officers. We really need to spend more money on the military and less on education and non-violent activism.” 

The ROTC has already started to train on the front lawn of the school practicing carrying rifles and other military weapons and marching in formation. There were so many students interested in joining the ROTC club that the leaders were forced to make cuts. They only were given 5,000 dollars in funding from the administration for the uniforms and weapons. There have been outcries in business meetings about the extremely low budget allotted for such an important club. Many students are planning on staging non-violent walkout protests in support of more funding for the ROTC program. 

Zug and Bryan are so thrilled with the turnout of student support and activism in promoting future military members at Friends School. Their graduating gift to future classes is a donation from their own pockets of 50,000 dollars for the start of the creation of the ROTC meeting house to be built next to the Jones House. This building will contain meeting rooms for the club, active explosives, and many many weapons so that students can prepare for war. This building will be a 3-story building with at least one room for grenades alone. If students have any more requests for which weapons to buy please reach out to the Business Team, they will aid you in purchasing any number of bullets and or nuclear bombs if you want them in the new building!

The student body is thrilled with the start of this project and many claim that once the building is finished they want to hold classes in it so that they are surrounded by the comfort of fully loaded weapons at all times. 

When asked if there was anything that the Quaker Faith and ministry committee could provide for the ROTC program the leaders of the program asked that queries be developed regarding the benefits of the ROTC program for the upcoming meeting for worship.