The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Newest Hot Trend - Safety
Tripp Young ‘25, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
Tortured or Chart-topping?
Annie Rosenthal ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024
April Music
Emma Lavelle ‘26, Staff Writter • May 29, 2024
The Mysterious J.R.
Scarlett Murphy ‘27, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

Tortured or Chart-topping?

She has done it again! Taylor Swift broke numerous streaming records globally with the release of her new album, The Tortured Poets Department (TTPD). On February 4th, 2024 Swift announced the new album at the Grammy Awards after winning best pop vocal for her previous album, Midnights. When her fans, Swifties, heard the news, they instantly went wild over the unexpected announcement. Swifties quickly started to analyze every aspect of this announcement in the hope of uncovering some more exciting news about Swift’s upcoming plans.

When Swift announced the album she teased the crowd by saying, This is my 13th Grammy – which is my lucky number, I don’t know if I’ve ever told you that.” She continued by saying, “I want to say thank you to the fans by telling you a secret that I’ve been keeping from you for the last two years…” Swift went on to reveal only a few details of the new album. Millions of fans anxiously waited in anticipation for the album to be released at midnight. When the album was initially released there were 16 songs for fans to indulge in and listen to. But, as it got later into the night, Swift had one other immense surprise to reveal. Swift released a second part to the album called, The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology. This addition added fifteen new songs to the mix, thus making it a 2-hour and 2-minute, 31-song album. Micah Davenport, a ninth grader at Wilmington Friends School, a big Swiftie herself was very excited by this release, “I was very shocked by the double release because I was avoiding all social media and general media for the whole day, so when one of my Swiftie friends said second album–my jaw about fell off my head.” The surprise second drop left all Swifties stunned.

It’s not new or surprising news to anyone that this album broke many records globally. One of the records it broke included the most streams in one day. Spotify announced that TTPD had over 300 million streams in just a single day, and this was on just one platform. Davenport marveled at Swift’s accomplishments, “I think this achievement is really powerful because she is only competing with herself. She is really impressive and I can’t wait to see what else she is going to do.” This was just one of the many records she crushed. Swift also broke the record for most streams in one week with 1 billion! She continues by occupying 31 slots on the Billboard Top 100, and all of those 31 songs came from the new album. Ten of those 31 songs were in the Top 10 of that week. This marks the second time Swift has occupied the Top 10 spots; the first was with the release of Midnights. Swift was so deeply grateful for these achievements that her fans gave her that she took to Instagram with a message of gratitude, “You’ve outdone yourselves, this is unbelievable.” Breaking streaming records and Billboard Top 100 placements were only a few of the many wonderful and great achievements Swift obtained during release week and after.

Swift continues to take the music world by storm and excite Swifties across the globe. Her lyrics continue to be sung and heard by her fans who can’t get enough of her talent. Swift consistently delivers meaningful messages to Swifties of all ages.