The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Ukraine – All These Months Later

Russia invaded Ukraine over a year ago, and let’s be honest, most people in America have forgotten about it. However, it is still an impending problem for the people of Ukraine. Here’s a quick overview of how the conflict is progressing. 

The Russian Federation invaded Ukraine in February 2022, which was an escalation of the Russo-Ukrainian war that started in 2014. Ukraine gained its independence in 1991 from the Soviet Union. Now, President Putin of Russia has made attempts to get it back. One reason why Putin invaded Ukraine is because it has many important resources including wheat, oil, and ports. Ukraine wants to join NATO, which would give it more alliances and resources but NATO members feel this would further provoke Russia. Upper school history teacher Mr. Childers says, “The US doesn’t want to directly engage Russia in a military conflict.” This would likely lead to nuclear war. Despite this situation, the United States has provided billions of dollars in aid to Ukraine. Mr. Childers notes, “The United States has a responsibility to help other countries defend their territorial integrity.” However, if Ukraine loses this conflict, the American economy will be pushed into further unbalance. An additional effect of this war is Russia’s ruthless invasion of Ukraine and the resultant displacement of millions of Ukrainian citizens who became refugees. One of these refugees was part of the WFS community last year.

Sashka was a 7th grader at Friends last year and a Ukrainian refugee. When Sashka first came to America, she wasn’t the best at English, but she soon improved and started to make friends at her new school in an entirely new country. She left to go back to Europe in March 2023 when it was safe to return to her country and be reunited with the family members she was forced to leave behind. Luckily, Sashka was able to keep in touch with the friends she made at WFS through social media and was able to provide a few comments on her feelings about the conflict in her homeland. When asked about her overall opinions on the war she responded, “The Russian Federation is trying to take control of all our country and destroy our country, our culture, and all our population.” Sashka feels Russia is a dictatorship and the people of Ukraine are fighting for their democracy, freedom and survival. “Every day, Russians bomb our civil buildings, schools, hospitals, stores, grain, and ports,” she says. When asked about the support the United States is providing she said, “I am really grateful to the US government and American people for your support…Your weapons, missiles, political position, and economical support really help us to survive.” Sashka also thinks that American support has saved many lives. When asked how life is now in Ukraine Sashka said, “We came back to our motherland because it is more safe than last year due to your support…A lot of refugees returned to Ukraine and now everyone works for our joined victory.” The Ukrainian people are grateful to the United States, despite the controversy it has created in America. Ukrainian refugees have been separated from their families and forced to move out of their country but Sashka remains positive and believes a better future will come into fruition soon.

What has become glaringly obvious is how little most people know about the war now. The media has become bored with covering the conflict and people aren’t predisposed to go looking for information on it. Most students of WFS say they know nothing about the war in Ukraine. “It’s bad,” says Decker Reitemeyer ‘27 when asked about his knowledge of the conflict. Everyone knows there is a war but they aren’t concerned with the details or progression. “It’s violent,” says Sofia Gasta-Domínguez ‘26. The war in Ukraine may have calmed down a bit, but it is still something well worth paying attention to. Most people have forgotten about the continuing conflict after the initial invasion, but it is still a very daunting problem for all citizens of Ukraine.