Cubs Victorious in World Series After 108 Years

Holiday Issue

The Chicago Cubs celebrating after their victory

Bella Stuccio, Sports Writer

2016 is a good year to be a fan of the Chicago Cubs! On November 2, the Chicago Cubs won the biggest event in baseball for the first time in one hundred and eight years: the World Series. This was their eleventh time in the series. Fans were surprised when their team managed to pull off a win in the final game.

The World Series started in 1903 and is played every fall. The format of the series is the best team in the National League goes against the best team in the American League. This year Chicago was the representing team of the National League and Cleveland was the representing team of the American League. The amount of games in the series varies each year. A team wins when they win four games, so the most games there can be in a series is seven. This year the World Series went to the maximum amount. The Chicago Cubs went against the team from Cleveland, Ohio, and defeated them eight to seven. Cleveland’s team competed for the sixth time being in the World Series.

In the beginning, the odds were not looking good for the Cubs, seeing as they lost three out of the first four games. Before the exciting ultimate game, the two teams were tied, for they each had won three games. After the concluding game the Cubs gathered on Wrigley Field in their home city of Chicago to celebrate. According to the New York Times, the Cubs may even visit the White House before President Obama leaves. Fans on the other hand are going crazy while celebrating their team, like getting commemoratory tattoos and even camping out for a chance to meet the team.

As aforementioned, the Cubs have been in the World Series eleven times, but they have not won since 1908. John Roskovensky declared, “I think it’s awesome. It’s great for the city, it’s great for the fans and it’s still sort of unbelievable. It’s hard to believe it actually happened.” An anonymous student adds, “This is the year I decided to jump on the Cubs bandwagon and it was a great year to do so.”

It was an emotional last game for fans of each team. Roskovensky states, “it was very nerve-wracking. It made me very nervous because I didn’t agree with the way the game was matched, I could see the effect of the game happening the way I feared it would happen and I thought that the Cubs were going to lose while I was watching.” Roskovensky has never seen a win like this from the Cubs, and he has been a fan for most of his life. He illustrates, “Since I grew up in Chicago when I was young, I didn’t like the Cubs because I’m a White Socks fan. When I went to college is really when I became a fan.”

Chicago celebrates its win as the year winds down, and fans of the Chicago Cubs hope that their favorite team is able to win again next year.