The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Spring Sports Begin

Athletics at Wilmington Friends are such a significant part of the community. Spring is here, and this means that a new sports season has officially begun. After a very successful winter season, the spring sports teams will look to continue with some success of their own. 

Last year the girl’s Quaker Lacrosse team made it to the quarter-finals and this year they hope to continue to build on that success. Cora Lohkamp ‘26 says “This season I am most excited about being with the team and continuing to have fun. There are a lot of really amazing people and athletes on the team and we have already had so much fun together.” Along with spending her afternoons with the team Lohkamp ‘26 is looking forward to winning. “I love to win but winning with the team makes the whole experience so much fun.”

Much like the lacrosse team, the Quaker Baseball team is hoping to have another successful season. Manager Avery Martinenza ‘25 explains that the team’s main goal this season is to “control what you can control and to have fun”. Baseball much like other sports is a team game and it is important to maintain a positive attitude and remain calm to help your team beneficially. She also talks about the significance of teamwork and connections among a team. She explains, “I am most excited to bond with the team this season. Since I am the only manager I have more opportunities to get closer to all the players.”

Head girls soccer coach Scott Clothier says “The importance of a strong team environment is that the strength provides continuity, cohesion, and a goal-oriented team that understands their task throughout a season, rather than having a day-to-day approach which will provide inconsistency.”

The boy’s Quaker lacrosse team also made it to the quarterfinals last year and they have the goal to get even further this year. So far undefeated the team chemistry is already very strong. Andrew Forman ‘25 says “The team has a very strong chemistry. We will go to the turf on the weekends, we stay after practice, we hang out in the locker room before and after practice and games, and we always help and support each other.” Having a strong team spirit is very important in having success. The boy’s lacrosse team will look to continue to have good chemistry and support each other as a team no matter what.

The team environment at Wilmington Friends sets the school apart from all the others. Everyone is always supporting each other, making an enjoyable environment, and players from different grades are extremely close. With underclassmen wanting to give seniors a good final season, and every student getting ready for summer, the energy for spring sports is high! Good luck to all the spring sports teams, and GO QUAKERS!