Successful Trips During Covid

Grace Morrison, Junior Editor

This summer I participated in the school trip to Acadia, Maine to study the effects of the climate crisis in Maine. I was one of ten students who were also interested in taking steps to aid scientists in the study of climate change. I am proud to say that this group of students was engaged the whole time and was not afraid to get dirty when searching for crabs among miles of slimy seaweed or mucking around in the mud flats digging up clams. Every day before dinner we had a presentation which involved issues surrounding Maine’s climate change. Since Maine has a diverse ecosystem, the environment is and will continue to be affected in many ways. I am very grateful for the wonderful, educational experience. 

The living situation was as comfortable as dorms could be. Each participant got their own room, which would normally sleep four. Masks were required indoors, on transportation and when working outside in close quarters. Meals were eaten in dining rooms separated by group, with five person tables spread throughout the room. The teachers, students and scientists were very understanding and conscious of the circumstance. At the end of the trip we felt accomplished with over 35 hours of field work and 50 hours of service hours completed! 

Because of this successful trip, vaccinated IB art and art major students will be going on a day trip to New York City in October. They plan on visiting museums, observing and critiquing art, and working on their photography skills. Studying abroad is also an option again this year, with Izzy Miller spending the year in France. Along with these planned trips, the talk in the halls is already focused on the hope of summer trips.