Cafeteria Opening!

Cafeteria+Opening%21

Sameer Vidwans, Community Editor

The new school year has arrived, and with it come many changes! Last year was extremely different due to the Covid-19 pandemic, so it’s always great news whenever something makes a comeback. In this case, it’s one of the most important things to kids at this school; food. That’s right, the Cafeteria is up and running!

Many students primarily eat from the Cafeteria, so they were particularly excited when it completely opened up. “There are just so many more options,” said Peter Connelly ‘23, comparing it to last year. “Not only that, but I think it tastes better this year because it wasn’t prepackaged.” He also commented that the cafeteria was like a safety net of sorts. “If I’ve forgotten to bring something for a snack or lunch, I can always get something there at the cafeteria.” 

David Wu, a junior at Friends, was also pretty glad that the cafeteria was open. “I personally think that the food is a little too expensive, but what I had really missed from the cafeteria was the space.” A lot of kids stopped eating in the cafeteria last year due to the restrictions on how many could sit at a table, so there are many, like him, who are glad to be back. There are, of course, those who weren’t affected by the opening and closing of the cafeteria. Caroline Vanderloo, a senior, said that she “only went down to the cafeteria once to find my friend there.” More and more students have started eating in their advisors rooms or in the library, just because that’s what they did last year. It’s possible that the cafeteria will be much emptier because of some students eating in other places.

However, if Culinart brings back some student favorites from earlier years, there will be much more traffic in the cafeteria. Breadsticks, breakfast for lunch, meatball sandwiches – if Culinart brings back these less healthy, but really tasty options in the café, nearly all the complaints about the café would disappear. “I really liked the meatball sandwiches and breadsticks,” said Peter Connelly ‘23. “There were a ton of snacks like that which I missed last year.”

Regardless of the ups and downs of the cafeteria, the cafeteria remains a place for students to relax and bond between classes. Check it out sometime, even if you’re part of the students that don’t eat there. You might find yourself loving it – it’s a great advance to what a Covid-free WFS will look like!