Cross Country and Boys Soccer in the 2021 Fall Season

Kai Heister, Sci & Tech Editor

The WFS school year has started out with a bang this year, especially in regards to sports. All teams have been working hard during preseason. Every team is excited to get back into games and meets after a long break. 

WFS boys soccer is prepared for a long and tough season this year. The team is full with a total of 48 boys on the roster. So far the boys have been on a 4 game winning streak, after winning their first game from Sanford 9-1. The boys worked together well and had many different goal-scoring combinations. Alessio Cristanetti-Walker ’23 had a total of five goals throughout the entirety of the game. In their second game of the year, the team beat Dover High School 1-0. Goalkeeper Carter Ross ’23 had 6 great saves. Rohan Mandayam ‘23, a long term member of the team, said, “The soccer team is off to a great start this season. We are 4-0 and looking to make it five today when we play Tatnall. I personally am very excited to continue playing. This season has been a lot of fun, and we’ve seen some really amazing individual and team plays alike. A highlight of our season so far was probably our golden goal overtime win against Dover. We’ve already proven that while facing tough competition, we can persevere and find a way to win.” Though there may be some upcoming challenges, the boys soccer team is ready to compete and have fun for the rest of their season.

WFS Cross Country is also off to a great start this year. They have participated in meets against Caravel, and Unionville High School, and have future meets against Salesianum, Brandywine, and Tatnall. They have many upcoming events and tournaments. Girl’s team captain Caroline Vanderloo ‘22 said, “We haven’t had a ton of meets yet, but the season is going well. We’re looking forward to some of the upcoming invitationals like Joe O’Neill and Sallie’s invite. We also have a bunch of underclassmen participating this year, which is exciting.” The entirety of the Quaker XC team is ready and excited for their upcoming meets and races.

It is very exciting to get back into sports this school year, and every student is thrilled to start competing again. Remember to wish all participating athletes good luck before their races and games.