2021 New Staff

Kendall Law, Copy Editor

The 2021-2022 school year brought a lot of new things to Wilmington Friends, including 19 new teachers and staff members. Two of the new staff members at Friends this year are Melissa Tal (US Math) and Danielle Litterelle (school counselor). 

Litterelle has been a school counselor for the past 10 years, most recently at Avon Grove High school. She is a licensed, professional counselor and has experience with both high schoolers and middle school students. Growing up, Litterelle’s favorite class was Italian. She states, “I loved learning a new language, and it was so interactive.” She was brought to Wilmington Friends School by its extremely welcoming community. Litterelle says, “Once I obtained my license in counseling, my ultimate goal was to work at an independent school where my kids would attend.” Litterelle has a kindergartener and first grader who joined Wilmington Friends School this year. 

Tal previously worked at the Philadelphia school and Albert Einstein Academy Jewish Day School. She was also Ms. Hegenbarth’s sabbatical substitute in the middle school.  Tal has also done tutoring at Wilmington Friends School.Tal says that while growing up, school was alway a magical place for her. She of course loved math, but what was powerful for her was the process of learning and how important the school community was to education. When not in school, she loves to spend time with her family, do board games, puzzles and yoga. Tal says, “Wilmington Friends has called to me since we moved to the area several years ago. The community, the values, and the rigorous and progressive education resonated deeply with me.” 

The Wilmington Friends community is a huge reason for why so many new teachers join every year. As Finola Mimnagh ‘22 states, “There’s a lot of clubs and committees at Friends that you can join that are great for making new friends and for finding a new interest that you’re passionate about”. Everyone is excited to see these new faces in the halls this year!