The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier Staff April 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Friends switching to AP

BREAKING NEWS – Wilmington Friends School has officially decided to switch from International Baccalaureate (IB) education to an Advanced Placement (AP) education. After many student complaints about the full IB Diploma being too easy, Mrs. Zug decided that she will go out with a bang and make her last major school decision switching to the AP curriculum. 

The light workload and easy classes is what pushed for this change at Wilmington Friends School. Many students didn’t feel like the IB curriculum pushed them to be their very best. The new AP curriculum will contain 57 classes including classes like Pet Owning and Garden Growing. Each student will be required to take 20 of these classes, and any final grades below a 90% will call for immediate expulsion from the school.

Unfortunately, this means that the teachers here at friends will either need to be fired, or forced to learn a whole new curriculum. Luckily, there is a new part of AP that lets students teach the classes so the school won’t need to find a completely new set of teachers. This will be extremely useful to the 57 classes in the new AP curriculum. If there are any volunteers to teach a class, please contact Mrs. Zug. If any classes remain without a teacher, a student teacher will be appointed at random. 

In addition to having 57 classes, the students and teachers at Wilmington Friends School have decided that it is no longer necessary for students to take core classes. Students will choose all of their classes on their own with no restrictions or requirements. As long as 20 classes are selected, students can take any classes they would like. Wilmington Friends decided to do this because it will look a lot better for colleges. Many colleges will see the realistic classes we are taking, like Pet Owning, and see that the students at Wilmington Friends School are ready for the real world. As a community, we should expect many student commits to the Ivies after this change. 

In the end, switching to the AP curriculum will help students prepare for the real world. IB was incredibly easy and not very respected, so this change will be a challenge, yet one students can face. Some may be very upset about this change, but those are the students who are not ready for this step in learning. To ensure everyone is ready for this program, Mrs. Zug will make every student attend summer school from 6 AM to 8 PM. The school is in for some major changes this coming year, but it is a change the students will welcome with open arms.