Situation in Syria: How much do Students know?

Homecoming Issue

foto: Robert Cotič

Mass Migration in Syria

Zach Horowitz, News Writer

If you ask anyone about what is happening in Syria, most will speak of the “Syrian refugees” who are taking refuge in Europe and other parts of the world. But if you ask them why the refugee crisis is occurring, expect blank stares and looks of perplexity. So, what is really happening in Syria? Why have millions of Syrians been forced to flee their own country to start brand new lives in unknown places with unknown people, leaving everything they know behind? The answer lies in two words: Civil War.

In 2011, there was a protest in the Syrian city of Deraa because of the arrest and torture of 15 schoolchildren for drawing anti-government graffiti on a wall. From this event forward, frustration and anger towards the government heightened, resulting in the rise of countless rebel groups who wanted the Syrian president to step down from his position. Syria has become an anarchic society with violent rebel groups, most prominently ISIS, fighting and killing each other, which puts regular citizen’s lives in grave danger.

The Syrian refugee crisis has become a hot political topic, and, when asked what they thought about it, many Wilmington Friends students spoke passionately about the issue: An anonymous senior girl said, “What else is it going to take for people to make a difference and step up? Whether it’s the Syrian refugee crisis or racial issues, it is easy to ignore something when it does not directly affect your life.” This provokes the   question of whether or not one is morally required to help a situation that doesn’t directly affect them. Ryan Wolynetz ’18 commented: “It’s a horrible situation, and it’s horrible that they do not all have a place to take refuge in.” Henry Tucker ’18 shared his thought about media coverage on the issue: “I think that news outlets should be covering more about what is happening inside of Syria rather than what politicians are saying about the refugee crisis. The public needs to be more informed about the actual issues inside of Syria.”

When asked about what was actually happening inside of Syria, many Friends students were unsure. A student, who wished to remain anonymous, commented, “I know absolutely nothing about the situation in Syria, so I have nothing to say.” Perhaps this ignorance about the situation in Syria should be seen as a call for change in how the media and educators speak of the situation.

The Syrian civil war shows no signs of ending in the near future. As a result, the living conditions and the refugee crisis continue to deteriorate rapidly, and require recognition worldwide.