The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Friends’ Production of Guys and Dolls

The school year has arrived, so the school musical is right around the corner. This year’s production will be the musical Guys and Dolls. This classic musical will be a change from the newer musicals that the Quakers performed in the past couple of years. The story is set in post-war era New York City. It is fun, vibrant, action-packed, and full of fantastic music.

In this musical, two love stories emerge taking place between unlikely pairs. Margaret Ann Butterfield, a music teacher at Friends, says, “It’s very energetic. It’s very comic and there is a lot of fast banter and quick interactions… and there’s singing and dancing and jazz hands.” Many people love this musical all around America and with the talent at our school, it is expected to be a fantastic show! This musical was previously performed by Wilmington Friends School in 2010 and as an 8th-grade musical in 2017. Fun Fact: in 2010, our very own Mrs. Zug had two lines in the musical. 

There are many people in this musical who have never had this special experience. Mrs. Butterfield describes the cast members as, “Energetic and enthusiastic.” Everyone there is excited to put on a show and they are excited to do it right. Grace Terrell, 24’ says, “This will be my third musical and everyone seems a little more focused because everyone wants to be here. There is also more talent in this show than the other ones I’ve been in.” Wilmington Friends’ abundance of talent made the casting process more difficult, however, Mrs. Butterfield believes she has cast everyone appropriately to best fit their talents. In addition, many cast members know and like this show. Mrs. Butterfield is most excited about the music in this show and explains how many people already know it. The cast is larger than in previous years which will make the show more exciting. Mrs. Butterifeld says, “The only thing I wish is I got these very talented seniors who waited until now to be in a show.” However, it is never too late to be a part of something so special, and many kids come out of a musical with better friends than before. Ella Morton, 25’ says, “I’m really excited to get to know everyone because it’s a really big cast… I know coming out of the shows we are all super close-knit and tight.”

The rehearsal process recently began, and all the signs are pointing in a positive direction. There are many requirements to put on a show such as making dances, practicing songs, practicing lines, and making sure everyone is unified. Terrell, 24’ explains, “Rehearsals have been really fun because we moved into the theater.” Now the cast will begin blocking which is figuring out who goes where in each scene while also practicing their lines, songs, and dances. The cast finished their music practice and Mrs. Butterfield says it is, “Moving along at a pretty swift pace.” Planning rehearsals in the busy time of the fall has its challenges, but Mrs. Butterfield is confident in their ability to put on a fabulous show this November. Morton, 25’, says, “The blocking is going to be great and I trust the director.” 

Mrs. Butterfield says, “There were many stars aligning to make this [show] happen.” The cast is eager to perform this show, so everyone should make an effort to attend Wilmington Friends’ production of Guys and Dolls on November 11th and 12th. Terrell, 24’ says, “I’m just excited for it all to come together and all of you to see it!”