The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Test Stress

Tests, students either love or hate them. Well, mostly dislike them, even though they are a big part of a student’s education. Tests prove to also lead students to have lots of stress and anxiety. Azani Milbourne ‘26, Layli Katirai ‘26, Leyla Medford ‘26, and Molly Dolan ‘26 were all asked about their stress, and how tests might impact this.  

When asked how much a student’s stress levels are throughout the week, the answers varied. Dolan said her level was a four out of ten because she does not have to worry about her class grade being affected by just homework. Medrord said her level of stress was a three, and Katirai said a six. Milbourne talked about how she tries to use school time as much as possible for schoolwork, “I usually have homework for at least 2-3 classes per night, mostly readings for English and a worksheet for various classes… I try to get any work done during the school day, like in class or study hall, to maximize my free time at home.” In weeks when the students know a test or quiz is approaching, their stress levels significantly increase. Katirai, Medford, and Dolan all said their levels rose to an eight or higher. For Milbourne, on the other hand, her stress level only moved to a six. She looks on the bright side of tests and explained, “tests mean I wouldn’t have other homework for that class so I can get other things I need to do.” 

Overthinking also plays a major part in the pressure leading up to an exam. Dolan added, “I also always go into a test thinking I’m unprepared, or that I forgot to do something.” Katirai added, “When I’m more stressed I tend to overthink and get things wrong.” 

All the students were asked which subject causes them the most stress. Almost all agreed on physics or language classes. Milbourne emphasized, “I worry about French most often because our tests and quizzes are normally on a lot of material we’ve learned and can pile up on top of each other.” She also talked about how important language classes are, “you will always keep using the things you’ve learned in the past units for the future. So if you don’t know it now, you are likely to have problems later.” Dolan added, “I would say physics because it is not my strongest class, so I have to do more to prepare,” Medford and Katirai both agreed.  

De-stressing is a very important activity that everyone should do leading up to quizzes/tests. An example may be, to take breaks from studying, to give your mind a break. “I try to not think about school and work when I’m home and have completed everything I need to do.” (Milbourne) “To de-stress I probably just take a break from studying…and then in like an hour I would go back to studying.” (Medford) Other students, enjoy more active activities. “I like to do active things like play sports, it really pulls my mind away from everything,” (Dolan) and Katirai likes to hang out with her friends or go shopping. 

When the ominous tests finally come around and it is time to take them, students respond very differently when taking them with stress. Dolan explains, “Without stress, I tend to be more calm when taking the test. But with stress, I check over my work a lot more.” Katirai gave a similar response, “when I’m more stressed I tend to overthink and get things wrong. but then sometimes when I don’t stress enough I don’t review enough before so then I’m a little clueless.” Other students, like Milbourne, are more confident about their studying skills, “I normally don’t stress about tests because I am typically already confident with what I know but when I’m not it causes me to worry.” 

In conclusion, students respond differently to tests and it also depends on the subject the test is in. Some students are more confident going into tests than others, and some are more prepared than others. Tests are something all students have to learn to live and adapt to, so don’t worry too much about the next test coming up, and remember to relax!