Hanson and Kortanek Share Bush Award

Anna Fahey

The Bush Award, established by the board of trustees, works to recognize students who most distinctly displayed the values of character, scholarship, and service. Usually, a junior boy and girl each receive one of the most distinguished awards given at the school and are honored by the Head of School with a personal letter and plaque. This year, the faculty felt that Evie Kortanek ’18 and Jack Hanson ’18 most strongly demonstrated the three values that the Bush award stands for. Congratulations to them both!

One of the most essential parts of the Quaker education at Wilmington Friends School is to instill the values of service, scholarship, and character into each student. We strongly believe that these help shape them each into passionate, independent, and creative individuals. Out of these ideals comes the Bush Award, named after former principal Charles W. Bush, who served at Friends from 1922 until 1935. Their names are also engraved on the Bush plaque, which hangs on the wall of the main hall.

Kortanek has gone above and beyond the expectations set for a WFS student in her hard work to improve the school to help others. She has taken a major role in planning the WFS ‘Dance Louder and Prouder’, which will help bring the WFS community and the broader Wilmington community together in a space where LGBT+ students can feel safe and enjoy themselves. “She’s a phenomenal student,” says Kortanek’s interim advisor, Paul Sharp. “She has impressed me with everything she’s done since I’ve been here”. Kortanek is very involved in PRISM, and is clerk of the Art and Activism club. Her work for art advocacy shows a maturity and sense of character that is integral to her being chosen for the award. “There is a unanimous appreciation for her intellectual curiosity,” Mrs. Zug says. Kortanek is also enrolled in the full IB diploma, but Mrs. Johnson states that it’s not just her love for learning inside the classroom that shines through. “She shows how she loves to learn new things in class but even more impressively in her life… the core piece of this award is the character. Character flows into service, character flows into scholarship, and that’s completely true for Evie. That’s what stands out.”

Hanson has been described as compassionate, kind, and sensitive to the needs of those around him by multiple different teachers. He also helps others whenever he sees that someone struggling. His advisor, Mrs. Kenney, spoke about his sense of humor and maturity. “He’s willing to laugh at himself and recognize his own flaws, but also work on them”. Hanson is incredibly involved with the school and multiple different programs and clubs. He runs Cross Country, is in LINK Crew, and is a very talented singer and actor. He’s been in a variety of WFS productions and is a valued member of both Chamber Singers and All-State Choir. Along with Emily Rossi ’17, Hanson sang at Governor John Carney’s Inauguration and recently sang the national anthem with his fellow Chamber Singers at a naturalization ceremony. Some of the productions that Hanson has been a part of include The Princess and the Pea, Kiss Me Kate, Into the Woods, and the student-run production Making A Horseman. “Jack really cares about what he’s doing,” says Sharp. Along with his multiple activities outside of the classroom, Jack has taken on six majors for his junior and senior years, speaking to his genuine interest in learning. Mrs. Kenney states, “His level of commitment says a lot about his integrity – he has it not just here but out in the world as well.”. Hanson’s consistent work ethic and dedication to his activities and to those around him show the quality of character that is deserving of this award. “He’s the kind of kid that does the right thing even when no one’s looking,” says Mrs. Zug, Head of Upper School. “Jack is respected by peers and adults alike”. Hanson and Kortanek have both been model students in the Wilmington Friends School Community. Students are excited to see what they will accomplish in their senior year, as they will definetely create an even bigger impact as the eldest of the school.

Of both students, Mrs. Bulk, the 11th grade Dean, stated, “The faculty felt that these two rose to the top especially in terms of character. We very much appreciate and recognize their love for learning!”. As we recognize these two phenomenal students for their achievements so far, we wish that they have just as much success heading into their final year at Friends. Hanson and Kortanek truly embody the values of character, scholarship, and service that make up the Bush award. Congratulations to the two!