Dancing with Pride

March Issue

The+Logo+for+the+Dance+

Evie Kortanek

The Logo for the Dance

Tess Beardell, Features Writer

A major point of pride within the Friend’s community is the openness with which it welcomes the LGBT+ community. In carrying on this tradition, Hareena Houston ’18 and Evie Kortanek ’18, along with Klara Lengues ’18, Bella Stuccio ’19, and Serena Gutsche ’18, have worked on organizing the ‘Dance Louder and Prouder’ Prom to take place on May 20th. The dance aims to be an LGBT+ friendly alternative to Prom, open to all high schoolers within the New Castle county area and hosted in the WFS West Gym. Houston commented: “we felt it was inherently wrong that many non-secular high schools throughout New Castle forbid their students from bringing a date of the same gender to Prom and other school dances.” Houston also noted that the committee is “hoping to create an opportunity for people to express themselves and get connected with other members of the LGBT+ community.” Kortanek made it clear that a main objective of the dance is “To support all members of our community by providing a comfortable dance atmosphere for all.”

Not only is the dance a semiformal event where students are encouraged to come dressed in whatever they please, guests are encouraged to come in groups, dates, and singles! Lengues, one of the dance’s organizers, noted her hope that the low-stress environment of the dance will “provide a safe space for students that are not given that space at their own dances or Proms.” Furthermore, she and other organizers emphasized their hope that students will be able to develop a “greater understanding for the growth our society needs to make in order to become more inclusive to the LGBT+ community.”

The dance, in its early stages of planning, has received positive feedback from the WFS community. Will Bodycot ’17 commented “It is a great opportunity to have a dance that welcomes LGBT+ students and their allies while encouraging them to be who they are.” Yet, Bodycot also showed an awareness of the prejudice and homophobia that the need for this dance roots itself in. Bodycot noted that “It’s unfortunate that an entirely separate dance was needed in order to help LGBT+ students feel like a validated and accepted part of the community.”

Kathleen Martin, the faculty overseer of the organization group, stated, “The Dance Louder and Prouder Committee decided to offer an all-inclusive dance for students in New Castle County because (believe it or not) some high schools do not allow students to bring a same-gender date to school dances. By hosting this dance, WFS is offering students in New Castle County the opportunity to dance together as a joyful community, with whomever they wish! The dance invites everyone – LGBTQIA and allies – to share great music, dancing, and food in a supportive and open-minded environment.”

The LGBT+ Prom truly highlights the Quaker value of Equality. is sure to be a place where all students, no matter their identity, can feel safe, accepted, and have fun. Make sure to purchase a ticket for $45 to cover the dance’s expenses, and save the date – May 20th in the West Gym!