Open Gradebook Becomes Available to All Upper School Students

Weekly Update

Evie Kortanek

Student showing off his impressive grade.

Olivia O'Donnell, News Writer

Students and teachers alike can breathe a sigh of relief: every gradebook on Oncampus has now opened. To welcome the arrival of the second semester, each upper school teacher, with the click of a button, has made their students’ accumulative grades available. Stress regarding the uncertainty of where one stands in each class has been replaced with an unparalleled comfort in knowing one’s very status at all times of the day. Met with staggering approval from the student and teacher population, this easily-accessible improvement to the site has underlined WFS’ commitment to sustaining ties with the modern technological world.

Before, only a select number of gradebooks were available to students. Gradebooks, which permit students access to their test, homework, and class participation grades, grant an in-depth look into a student’s progress throughout the year. However, the vast majority of class scores remained unknown until now, leaving students and teachers awaiting the addition’s arrival.

The decision to make class grades readily viewable has been long-awaited. Prior to the finalization of this update, faculty members met on numerous occasions to determine whether or not this change put too much emphasis on a number, rather than a student’s commitment to the course. However, their ultimate verdict supports the notion that the benefits of this unrestricted approach overwhelmingly outweigh all possible hindrances.

Biology teacher Caitlin Norton emphasizes the practicality of this new addition, affirming its influence on a student’s preparation for the class, “I really enjoy having my gradebook open this semester. It allows my students to monitor their progress in the class and helps to highlight the impact of missing assignments.

Not only can students access their current grades, according to Norton, but they can evaluate their weaknesses and then move forward in cultivating their academic potential.

Student Maddie Malone ‘18 agrees, adding, “This is the best outcome. Having an open gradebook for every one of my classes tells me as a student what I need to improve the most, as I am able to see what I need to work on, ranging from preparation for tests and quizzes to bettering my participation for a certain class. This new ability to track my scores has resulted in my better organization and preparation for the classes I take.”

Students spanning all grade levels, including Malone, each render their support for the addition. Nevertheless, with each student’s progress now easily accessible comes a greater responsibility to prepare for each class, but also the reminder to maintain his or her academic achievements.

Norton continues, revealing her added perspective as a teacher, “I’m still getting used to having the gradebook open, but one thing that I’ve had to adjust to is that the students often see their grade on an assignment before I’ve had an opportunity to return it to them in class. This hasn’t been a problem yet, and several students have actually told me that they prefer it that way.

Norton indicates that this recent update, although student-oriented, directly influences a teacher’s everyday routine. However, the open gradebook has not been the source of any problems for her or her students, stating that it has only served as an invaluable notice to keep up with everyday assignments as well as approach her for extra help, if needed.

Overall, both students and faculty members alike concur that this enhancement suffices as yet another positive addition to Oncampus, this year’s innovative and user-friendly replacement to WFS’ previous system, Netclassroom.