Haubert Excels in Math

Awards 2016

Every year at Friends, subject-specific awards are given out to students who show both passion and a high level of understanding of their subject. The Gehret Mathematics award is given to one or more students, chosen by the math department, as a truly exemplary scholar. The award is in honor of Amanda Spackman Gehret, ‘51. This year, the department decided on a single winner, Patrick Haubert!

Over the past four years, Patrick’s Upper School mathematics teachers have included Ildiko Miller, Sarah Stock-Patterson, and John Roskovensky. Mr. Roskovensky reflected on Patrick: “He is in my second year IB Higher Level math class. He is an excellent math student who works hard and asks excellent questions. He has a great understanding of mathematics and is able to connect many concepts together in order to solve complex questions. He is also a very nice person who is humble about his ability and is very willing to help others as well. He was a pleasure to teach”. Mr. Roskovensky clearly thinks very highly of Patrick, and his view shows that this award is not just awarded to those that are talented; it takes passion and leadership as well.

Patrick’s math teacher in Junior year, Sarah Stock-Patterson, states, “Patrick is a very bright student who will seek extra help and ask questions until he understands the concept. That is one of the keys to his success. Because he makes sure he understands everything on a deeper level, he is able to use that knowledge base to apply to new situations in creative ways”. From Mrs. Stock-Patterson’s quote we can all learn a valuable lesson from Patrick  about seeking out extra help, and having perseverance when something doesn’t come easily at first.

Patrick has demonstrated that he is a strong student in math, and can understand complex ideas at a deep level. To take his knowledge further, he is always willing to help another student, which plays a big role in his leadership at Friends. Patrick is an all around student-athlete who co-captains the WFS Varsity Soccer team, and Co-clerked the Student Disciplinary Committee among various other activities. This Fall he will be headed to his dream school, Georgetown University, where he will continue exploring his passion for knowledge. Congratulations, Patrick!