Spotlight on MOAS: Leadership and Diplomacy

Holiday 2014

2013+MOAS+Trip+Participants+

2013 MOAS Trip Participants

According to its website, MOAS, or Model Organization of the American States, is designed to “promote democratic values among the youth of the Hemisphere by familiarizing students, faculty and academic institutions of the Americas with the work of the OAS.” Mr. Ergueta, the faculty sponsor of MOAS at Friends, calls the club the “crowning jewel of the history department.” MOAS is a club at WFS that prepares students for a three-day trip (December 3rd to 5th) to Washington D.C. to participate in a simulated conference of representatives from the entire continent of America. Each year, around 1500 students and 100 teachers participate, including 20 of our own Wilmington Friends students. Participants from the U.S. as well as Central and South America will gather to discuss the major issues that affect the American countries, and come up with solutions to these issues. The students will be briefed by the real representatives of these states/countries, meeting in the actual location where the conference occurs.

MOAS meets on Day 7 in Mr. Ergueta’s room and offers a unique opportunity for students to develop their leadership and public speaking skills. Clerk Tommy Rhodes works to advise and lead club discussions in preparation for the upcoming conference. At a regular club meeting, students prepare by sharing information about the countries in the hemisphere and topics that will be covered at the conference. By participating, students are able to simulate what real politicians at the highest level do in their jobs. For example, they learn what it means to represent a country and develop proposals from people who come from diverse backgrounds and who represent different interests. More importantly, they learn what it means to work with others who they may not always agree with. In Mr. Ergueta’s words, the experience calls on participants to “use all the skills we seek to develop in students: public speaking, group work, and activism.” Nothing could better prepare a student who is interested in politics, nationwide and international affairs, and public speaking/leadership roles. It requires a lot of preparation, however, for students who express interest. In order to qualify, members must take and pass a series of seventeen quizzes on the Quia class website. The quizzes concern key aspects of the countries we will represent this year: Brazil and St. Kitts & Nevis. Also, students need to research and write a position paper that states the assigned country’s situation and approach to one of the conference topics. This preparation ensures that students are ready for this exciting but challenging experience. According to Mr. Ergueta, there is “nothing pretend about it.” Almost everything is conducted in the the same way as the real thing. Twenty students have already been selected to participate, so unfortunately it is too late to join at this point. This opportunity is one of a kind for high school students, and for anyone interested in what this experience has to offer, it is worth looking into for next year.