Wilmington Friends’ Own Theatre Genius

Weekly Update

The Cast of Making a Man Horse

John Blackwell, Sports Writer

When you hear “Chocolate Chip Surprise”, you might think of a dessert at Chili’s, unless you have seen Friends’ student run production: “Making a Man Horse.” The hilarious play premiered on Friday, January 13 in the school theatre, and it is safe to say that it was a hit!

“Making a Man Horse” is a short comedic play about a sly con-man named Jesse (played by Matt Byer ’18), who needs money to pay back the ruthless Sundown Jo (played by Maggie Coons ’19). Jesse turns to his lovable friend Wiley (played by Jay Handwerk ’18) to be this year’s “Man Horse” and con the town out of the bets they place on him. However, Sheriff Bell (Jack Hanson ’18) get’s awfully suspicious that Jesse may be up to something and Wiley might be in love with his daughter, Sally (Hannah Blackwell ’20). Jesse turns to the bounty-hunter Lila Chambers (Mary Agne ’18) to help get Sundown Jo off of his back, but things take a turn for the worse for Jesse. Meanwhile, the adoring townspeople have some mixed feeling towards all of this chaos, which provides a witty storyline and humor for all ages.

Not only was “Making a Man Horse” student-performed and student-directed by Emily Rossi ’17 and Leah Johnson ’18, but it was also student-written. In addition to starring in the play, Matt Byer ’18 wrote the entire script as well. Byer has shown pure genius in the theatre at Friends, starring as one of the gangsters in “Kiss me Kate” and being The Narrator in this year’s performance of “Into the Woods.”

When asked for a few words on the production, Jordan Carter ’17 said that “The student run production, “Making A Man Horse,” is nothing short of a masterpiece. Light hearted humor with undertones that even adults can laugh at is what really makes this play special,” highlighting that jokes were not only for the kids but also for the parents, ensuring a great time for all. Carter adds that “Byer’s language and writing style combines the stereotypical western with his own new look. The dialogue between characters felt natural and was very easy to follow. Overall the story and writing is what drew me in, despite the well chosen actors, the play itself has the potential to be a masterpiece in almost every theater.”

This year, as always, the wonderful tech crew helped out with the production. Both the Light and Sound club and stage crew were eager to help out with the play and devoted many hours to perfect the lighting and the set.

Some of the past student-run productions have been “Mirrors” and “Three on a Bench.” This play will undeniably go down as one of the best, all thanks to the amazing directors Johnson and Rossi, Byer, the incredible cast, and the outstanding tech-crew. James Tallman ’19 commented about working in the crew for “Making a Man Horse,” saying that, “It’s just so much fun that you get a personal glance and see the musical over and over again while doing tech.”

Just like that, “Making a Man Horse” became an instant Quaker classic. Both the students and teachers loved it with its innovative combination of humor and classiness, and who doesn’t love a wild west? Lauren Gutstein, English teacher, loved the play and commented, “I thought it was funny and impressive that it was student written and produced. I hope it will inspire students to take advantage of this opportunity.” The Friends community looks forward to what the next student run production will hold, thanks to Johnson, Rossi, Byer, and the crew setting quite the standard with “Making a Man Horse.”