Take a Break From School, and Enjoy the Music

Homecoming Issue

Annual+Made+In+America+Festival+in+Philadephia+

Evie Kortanek

Annual Made In America Festival in Philadephia

Matt Byer, Entertainment Writer

The flashing neon lights in the Electric Factory, paired with thunderous music, combine to create quite the spectacle, all before a massive, adrenalized crowd. Music festivals and concerts brilliantly gather fans of all genres to collectively enjoy an entertaining show. These concerts not only provide a good time, but a much-needed break from the more stressful elements of school life.

The nature of concerts and music festivals creates a thrilling atmosphere. The majority of the WFS community has attended at least one concert or music festival (such as Firefly or Made In America), and most agree it is a fun and exciting experience. Ryan Fischer ’18 offered his opinion on music festivals: “Music festivals! Wonderful fusions of light and sound and majesty!” He went on to say, “Haven’t I heard the sound from a bird? No, not until the booming bass rumbles a racket in my ears, filling me with excitement. Truly a great time it is, and one that we all share together!” Fischer notes an essential aspect of concerts and music festivals: unity, as a large group of people shares the exhilarating experience. Nick Gauthier ’17 shared his opinion on concerts as well. “People should go to them because it’s one thing to hear an artist through headphones, but another to feel the music in your bones,” he said,  “it’s an experience like no other to connect with not only the artist, but the people around you as they convey their emotions through their music in an incredible ambience.”

Concerts can also soothe anxiety and re-energize their attendees, making for an adequate recess. The student workload at WFS, especially for upperclassmen, is a heavy one, and can be the source of a lot of stress. Many student feel as though the workload is overwhelming.  When asked about the amount of work she receives at school, Marie DeVoll ’18 said, “So far, the workload from junior year is more than last year. It is a lot of work and it is exhausting, but it does pay off because I feel prepared for tests and quizzes that we have.” DeVoll, although she appreciates it, notes the exhausting nature of daily homework, studying, etc. Similar comments came from Nick Sotiropoulos ’18: “The work really piles up, especially as an upperclassmen. Doing all of it on top of sports and other stuff is stressful, and it can be overwhelming to manage.” This indicates that breaks are important for the mental health of students, which Sotiropoulos also commented on: “A break really helps lower stress, and when you have time away from something, you can think about it more in-depth when you come back to it.”

The stress stemming from schoolwork can be assuaged by a short break, which can come in the form of a concert or music festival. These events, with their exciting and fun atmosphere, are an effective way to take one’s mind away from an exhausting amount of schoolwork. However, concerts only last a night, and, in the morning, students must return to the realities of school and homework, hopefully a little more relaxed and ready to take on the challenges to come.