Students Catch Up On Popular Trends

March 2015

The beginning of spring means the end of cold weather and the start of a new season of fashion. Friends students are getting ready to wear their favorite warmer-weather gear from last year as well as some new style trends. The dress code at Friends is more relaxed than at other schools, so students have a variety of outfits to choose from which leads to a large diversity of style at school. One thing is for sure: by just by walking through the hallway, one can get a glimpse of the hottest trends of the season.

One store that is very popular among Friends students is Vineyard Vines, a preppy, American clothing and accessories vender. Vineyard Vines was founded near Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, and is well known for its adorable, pink whale logo. The clothing store’s most popular items at Friends seem to be their shep shirts, which are colorful and comfortable pullovers worn by both girls and boys. However, there seems to be a bit of a disagreement between students about whether or not the sweatshirts are stylish. When asked his opinion about shep shirts, Jake Luckangelo ’18 responded, “I like regular pullover sweaters, but I do not like the Vineyard Vines shep shirts because too many people at school wear them.” The only real differences between Vineyard Vines shep shirts and other pullovers are the pink whale logo on the front and the iconic name of the shirt, which comes from the name of one of the Vineyard Vines cofounders, Shep Murray. Kate Mraz ’16 voiced a different opinion, “Shep shirts are definitely stylish. I own a few, and they are just great to throw on, and you can dress them up or dress them down.” Whether they are from Vineyard Vines or not, students agree that quarter-zip sweatshirts and sweaters are great additions to any wardrobe.

Friends students seem to have mastered the art of wearing comfortable clothes while still looking stylish. Many students like to wear Sperry Top-Siders, which are meant to be boat shoes but are worn by students as everyday footwear. Like shep shirts, Sperrys are stylish and get more and more comfortable with every use. Atim Kilama ’18 agreed, “Sperrys are very comfortable while still being cute. A lot of students at our school have a preppy style, so you see a lot of people wearing Sperrys.” Another popular type of shoe that students like to wear are Hunter Boots. Many students pull out their rain boots in the spring, because it is the rainiest season. Hunter Boots can go with a variety of outfits because they come in so many different colors, but students mostly wear them over their jeans or leggings. When asked about her favorite type of shoes, Mary Agne ’18 replied, “Definitely combat boots and Hunter Boots, because they are comfortable, sensible, and very cute.” Similar to Hunter Boots, students like to wear Bean Boots, or “Duck boots.” Bean Boots are great because they can get muddy and wet, but they are also very popular with young adults of both genders and can go with many different outfits. There is nothing worse than walking around the school with muddy and uncomfortable shoes, so it is a good idea to invest in a sensible and stylish pair of shoes for this spring.

Another trend to watch for at school this spring is accessorizing with bracelets. Students like to dress up casual outfits by throwing on little accessories like bracelets. Lizzie Kane ’18 noticed, “A lot of people wear the little Alex and Ani charm bracelets. They are great because there are so many different combinations of colors and charms.” Alex and Ani is a brand that has recently been gaining much popularity and attention. The brand claims to focus its attention on sustainability by providing high quality products as well as excercising mindfulness over the sales of the jewlery. Jessica Saunders ’16 on the other hand, expressed support of frienship bracelets. Saunders ’16 shared, “They are very fun and easy to make and look really cute when you stack them on your wrist. They also make great gifts for your friends and family.” Bracelets are a great way to add a bit of sparkle or color to an outfit without breaking the bank, and they also make great gifts.

Although each student has his or her own individual style, it is clear that many students share a love of popular items like quarter-zip sweaters, Sperrys, Hunter Boots, and charm bracelets. Because the Friends dress code is more lenient than other schools, students have the option to explore new trends. Some old favorites might make a comeback or new popular clothing items and accessories might emerge.