The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier StaffApril 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

The Real Royal Rumble

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are known as one of the most recognizable couples in the world. But since their new documentary series grabbed the attention of people around the world, their lives have changed drastically. Let us start when Harry was a young boy. Harry and his brother William had a very unforgettable childhood. Their Mother, Diana, frequently found ways to enjoy herself. Even though it looked pleasurable, pressure built up underneath the surface. From Harry in the documentary, “Paparazzi used to harass us to the point where we had to be forced into smiling and answering questions to the traveling press pack.” The facade instilled upon Harry from a young age demonstrates that although the children looked like they were enjoying a ski trip or a vacation, it became challenging for them to live normal, comfortable lives. 

Harry and Meghan first crossed paths in July 2016 when Meghan and some friends went to watch Wimbledon. Eventually, a mutual friend used Instagram to connect the two. They unquestionably fell in love after that. The way they spoke about each other in the documentary is evidence of the deepness and passion of their love. Harry is the Duke of Sussex and the youngest son of King Charles III, meaning he is 5th in line to the throne. Meghan knew what she was getting into when she realized their relationship was more than a fling. This is because the British population was providing a lot of attention to her, as she was falling in love with a member of the Royal Family. As for Harry, he had other ideas, “There can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit the mold as opposed to somebody who you perhaps are destined to be with. The difference between making decisions with your head or your heart.” From Harry in the documentary, clearly depicts that Meghan did not “fit the mold” evident in the Royal Family’s spousal history. Harry knew Meghan and him were meant for each other and it didn’t matter what anyone else thought. He also stated in the documentary that his mother, Diana, made decisions with her heart and not her head. Diana’s decision making with her heart is now shown in Harry’s choices including how he protects his children. After Harry and Meghan got married, had children, and completely cut ties with the Royal Family, only to find themselves drowning in toxic and negative media hate. This kind of hate takes a toll on someone’s life no matter your title. 

I interviewed Rose Gnade, former chemistry teacher, and current college guidance counselor, to get her perspective on the situation. I asked her: What impact will Harry and Meghan’s departure from royal duties have on their children? Will they build relationships with the rest of their family? She responded: “I think they will probably have as normal a life as they could have with their parents still being famous. I hope they have a relationship with the Royal Family because family is so essential. I hope the generation they grow up in will be kinder and less stuck on tradition. I am curious to see if the British public would welcome the monarchy in 50 years.” I also asked her: Do you think Harry and Meghan should be respected as part of a royal family with a deep tradition and history in England? She answered: “I think the Royal Family is a machine whether you agree with the machine or not. If you don’t want to be part of the machine, that’s fine. Even if you’re not going to inherit the throne, there is still a level of respect the public should give them. The main reason for me, as an outsider and as a mother, is if I had what happened to me with Harry and William with Diana dying because she was hounded by paparazzi, I would be angry and I would also want out. Harry is just protecting his family. Queen Elizabeth is duty over family but Harry is family over duty.” 

Ms. Gnade’s responses provide evidence that Harry’s main goal is to protect his family and he only wants the best for them. Especially after Covid hit and the Queen passed away, a greater emphasis was put on Harry and Meghan’s separation from the rest of the Royal Family. Since his youth, the media and paparazzi were too much for Harry. Meghan knew the baggage of marrying Harry and starting a life with him, but has it become too heavy? Will they break? Ms. Gnade was right, the Royal Family is a machine and even though Harry and Meghan decided to leave, they will feel the effect of toxic media negativity for many years to come.