The student news site of Wilmington Friends School

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

The Whittier Miscellany

Patriotic Parking Lot
Patriotic Parking Lot
Kendall Law, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
Mast Head
Whittier Staff April 1, 2024
xr:d:DAF-GJqr3f4:3,j:5423879968535626289,t:24022816
Erewon in the Cafeteria
Sarah Levenson, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
New Head of School: Suga-Sheed
Mitchell Brenner, Staff Writer • April 1, 2024

Three Championships, Three Close Losses

The 2022-2023 sports season in Philadelphia was filled with highs and lows. Unfortunately for fans of the Philadelphia Union, Phillies, and Eagles, it ended in heartbreak as all three teams fell short in their respective championship games.

Starting with the Philadelphia Union, the team had a remarkable season, finishing as rank one in the Eastern Conference and earning a spot in the MLS Cup final. The Union had a difficult path through the playoff bracket, but after a bumpy start against Cincinnati, they got their act together. The Union advanced to the Cup Final match to face off against LAFC, the number one seed from the West, who were also hungry for a win.

Despite the Union’s impressive regular season and admirable playoff performances, they were unable to overcome the LAFC’s expensive foreign talent in players like Gareth Bale who scored LAFC’s 3rd goal of the game. The Union lost the championship game by a score of 3-0 in penalty shootouts in a 3-3 tied game. The team’s defense, which had been a strength all season, struggled to contain LAFC’s attack after the first half of the game, and the Union was unable to convert on their penalty shots to have a chance at winning the title. The loss was a bitter pill to swallow for the Union and their fans, who had high hopes for the team heading into the championship game. Eddie Gallagher, the Assistant Head of School for Academics and self-proclaimed 5 for 5 Philly sports fan, said he was “disappointed about the Union’s loss after they had been so dominant all season.” However, Mr. Gallagher’s opinion on the end of the Phillies season is a little more positive.

Speaking of the Philadelphia Phillies let’s take a closer look at their 2022 season. The team had a strong regular season, finishing third in the NL East and earning a spot in the playoffs. The team’s offense, led by Bryce Harper and Rhys Hoskins, was one of the best in the league, and their pitching staff had improved from the previous season.

The Phillies’ playoff run was fairly straightforward, with the team handily defeating the Braves and Padres by series scores of 3-1 and 4-1 respectively. After that, however, the Phillies found themselves facing down a more formidable opponent in the Houston Astros. The Phillies narrowly managed to clinch the first game with a score of 6-5. In the second game of the series, the Astros answered right back with a win of their own. In the 3rd game, the Phillies blew out the Astros to the tune of 7-0 scoreline and Phillies fans could see victory on the horizon. Unfortunately, the Phillies’ scoring frenzie would end after that 3rd game as they went on to lose the next 3 games and the 2022 World Series.

When asked about the Phillies’ end to the season, Daniel Selekman ‘24 said, “Although we didn’t win the world series, we still made it which was an upset in itself given the fact that we had the worst record going into the playoffs. We really came together at the end of the season and I think we’re looking good for next year.” The loss was a bitter disappointment for the Phillies and their fans, who had hoped to see the team get their first world series win since 2008 and 3rd world series win in the franchise’s history. However, the team’s success during the regular season and the progress they made in 2022 should give them confidence heading into the future.

And now let’s talk about the big event, the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles entered the 2022-2023 season with high expectations after making the playoffs as a wildcard team the previous year. The team’s offense had improved, with quarterback Jalen Hurts showing promise, and their defense was one of the best in the league.

The Eagles got off to a strong start in the regular season, winning their first eight games and establishing themselves as one of the top teams in the league. Their offense, led by Jalen Hurts and a talented group of receivers, was firing on all cylinders and putting up big numbers, and averaging almost 30 points a game. Despite a few bumps in the road along the way, the Eagles finished the regular season with a record of 12-4 and secured the top seed in the NFC playoffs. In the postseason, the team continued to roll, defeating the New York Giants and the San Francisco 49ers on their way to the Superbowl.

In the championship game, the Eagles faced a tough opponent in the Kansas City Chiefs. The game was closely contested throughout, with both teams trading blows and the lead changing hands several times. In the end, the Chiefs were able to pull out a narrow victory, winning the game by a score of 38-35. The loss was a disappointment for the Eagles, who had hoped to bring a championship back to Philadelphia. Eagles fans were heartbroken by the defeat, but they’re a resilient bunch. When asked about Philly sports fans, Simran Dattani said, “I think the fans are die-hard and they will die for their city, I mean Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. The city is filled with love and that love is shown for the sports teams.” When the 2023-24 season rolls around, rest assured, Philly fans will be back on their feet cheering their team toward the Superbowl once more. 

All in all, the 2022-2023 season in Philadelphia was filled with excitement and disappointment. While the Union, Phillies, and Eagles all fell short in their championship games, each team showed promise and progress throughout the season. With a strong foundation in place and talented players on their rosters, the future looks bright for Philly’s sports scene, and fans can look forward to even more exciting moments in the years to come.