WandaVision: A Promising Start to the MCU on TV

Bryce Young, Staff Writer

A quick foreword to this article: This series can only be found on Disney+. Some may have not seen the series yet and wish to; therefore, this article is spoiler free. 

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has stretched over a decade and has starred household names such as Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johanson, and Chris Hemsworth. However, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) have strictly been blockbuster movies until recently. WandaVision was introduced to the world on the 15th of January 2020. This miniseries, 9 episodes, stars Paul Bettany as Vision and Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch. The premise is that the couple has settled down in a small town in New Jersey as they soon suspect that not everything is as it seems. The last episode aired on March 5, 2020. 

This miniseries marked the beginning of a new era of the MCU. Not only does this miniseries usher in the fourth phase of the MCU it also is the first TV series in the MCU. Soon following the release of WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier; Loki; What if; Hawkeye; and many others follow. All of the series can be found on the streaming service, Disney+. The first seven episodes that were released were all received well by the public. The lowest scored an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and episodes 1, 2, and 5 all received 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

However, these are just a few of the facts about the miniseries. Part of the appeal of a tv show is that one gets invested in the characters and the storyline. As a new watcher, Estelle Hegenbarth ‘21, gushes about the TV show, “I have seen all the Marvel movies in a passing way. There are a lot of jokes and references that only the biggest fans may understand. However, the concept and storyline are interesting and fun to follow even if you are not a huge Marvel fan.”

Estelle was very excited to speak on the miniseries as it came heavily recommended by her friends, Henry Wieman ‘21 and Elise Johnson ‘21, and her sister, Brooke Hegenbarth ‘19. Equipped with this helpful advice from another student, others interjected with their thoughts. Ryan Wood ‘16, Global Peace and Justice teacher, praised the TV show, “It takes a couple episodes to get going and once it gets going, it takes off and I am looking forward to the next episodes.”

Wood did complain about the start of the series but, by the end, the show kicked off and was really stimulating. Both people praised WandaVision. Personally, the TV show is fascinating and highly recommended. WandaVision has many different nuances. If this was a yelp review on the WandaVision miniseries, the series would be rated five stars. The beginning of the show reintroduces the watcher to many new characters as well as characters in previous movies that fans had loved. For example, Darcy Lewis was reintroduced after a long absence on the silver screen. Also, the series “revives” another character, who shall remain nameless to avoid spoilers. The newer characters add layers to the miniseries and allow for Wanda and Vision to be quote en quote “normal” and create a bigger space for humour in a tense, action filled show. With many shows and films, there are many fan theories to explain plot holes or situations that the characters put themselves in. However, recent news has the director of the miniseries, Matt Shakman, saying, “Expect to be disappointed by the series finale in comparison to the fan theories floating about.”

Going off of the director of the series, one should not put much stock into fan theories and focus more on the show itself. So, if one is eager to dive into the universe of WandaVision, prepare for a rollercoaster of a ride.