How will Covid-19 Affect Testing this Year

Molly Lavelle, Staff Reporter

The college admissions process is something all high school students will eventually have to complete. It can be extremely stressful at times and the hours of work you put in are numerous. One of the biggest challenges students face when applying to college is having to take the SAT/ACT. This year, however, the process is much more difficult. On a normal test day, doors open at 7:45 am. Once you go through the doors, you may not leave until the end of the test. It would start promptly and 8:30 and you would be sitting in your assigned seat. Your test coordinator will read the instructions very carefully, like any other standardized test. Students are allowed two breaks, one ten minute and one five minute break. If everything runs on time, students will likely be dismissed around 1 pm. Of course, things are different this time around. 

Prior to taking either of the tests, students must prepare and schedule a test date. When preparing for the test, it was a struggle for many students to not be able to attend in-person tutoring. Felicia Froio ‘21 explained, “I believe COVID-19 affected students the most when preparing for the test. It limited numerous chances of finding in-person tutors to help.” Many sophomores and juniors have already taken the practice ACT and PSAT this past fall provided by the school, but for the real test, the situation is a bit different. Sadly, for students this year it was much harder to plan the date they’re going to take the test. Caroline Vanderloo ‘22 describes how she had not been able to take the test yet because many opportunities have been canceled. “I think the most difficult part of this situation has been finding a good test date. So many dates have been canceled, making it hard to find a test close to the timeframe you need.” Though there are no major changes to the actual test, if you take the test in-person, you must follow the safety precautions. Everyone must sit 6-feet apart with masks on during the entire test. Some sites may even require a COVID screening before the test date. You are not allowed to sit in for the test if you are positive or have been exposed. This year, however, you are not charged a cancellation fee. Students at WFS are lucky enough to have opportunities in their areas; however, many schools around the nation have no way for students to take these tests. Some students have traveled over an hour or two to take their tests. Colleges, however, have found a way to move past that. Many schools are now offering test-optional applications. Many students explain how they plan to apply test-optional. Rose Gnade, one of the WFS College Counselors, explains how they stressed the idea that the tests were optional so no student felt stressed or unsafe during the process. 

There were many personal hardships each student had to deal with differently, along with the systematic struggles affecting everyone across the world. As expected, a struggle might be having to deal with your test being moved constantly. “I was supposed to take it in March and didn’t take it until October,” said Erin Mann ‘21. Another issue may just be the stress of the entire situation. Vanderloo ‘22 describes, “I can assume that taking such an important test under these new precautions can be overwhelming for someone that is already stressed or worried. During many of my college meetings, school representatives mentioned that a bad test score isn’t the end of the world.” Or the issue may be not feeling comfortable when taking the test. Mann ‘21 makes it clear that wearing a mask during the entire test was not a very pleasant experience. A concern for many students, families, and administrators across WFS is if test scores will be affected due to the pandemic. Vanderloo ‘22 however makes a good point when asked if she is worried about the outcome of her scores. “In some ways, it’s good that the entire world is experiencing the effects of COVID-19 because it is forcing institutions throughout the nation to re-evaluate their standards for admissions.” 

Though the process this year has been difficult, no student is going through it alone. It is comforting to know that they are all in the same situation. It is a good example for younger students, as well, to know that anything could be thrown at them, and they will have to learn to adapt to what is happening around them. Regardless of their final test scores, this has been a growth experience for each and every student.