Fall Sports Return to WFS!

Lily Rashkind, Staff Reporter

Although the DIAA approved beginning fall sports, with COVID restrictions, there have still been questions and concerns regarding players’ ability to play safely, while still prioritizing student health. With student well-being and general health at the forefront of concern as a school, many have expressed both happiness and concern at the decision to participate in fall sports. The DIAA has authorized masked play and practice, while also prioritizing proper social distancing to ensure safe play for all students. While students are generally excited to return and participate in their chosen fall sport, these new guidelines have sparked some concern from students and coaches. It has been decided that fall sports will only be competing with varsity teams and will be holding tryouts for athletes to determine who will compete at the varsity level. While this model may be safer overall for the health of the athletes, it could be argued that this format may exclude students who have an interest in the sport, but may not have the talent to play at the varsity level. In addition to exclusively competing at the varsity level, masked play and practices are a requirement for each fall sport. While this new rule fits into COVID restrictions and allows athletes to practice and compete, this rule has also sparked concern amongst students, particularly with asthma or other underlying conditions. Throughout the first few weeks of practice, masked pay has proven to be a challenge and has pushed athletes to increase stamina and ability to continue to play well, while wearing a mask. However, many students have expressed how all of these factors and risks are worth it to continue to practice and compete in the sport they love. 

As senior Lucy Taylor ‘21 says, “It’s nice to see people being able to participate in the sport they love again in a safe and healthy environment. It has allowed many students to be able to reconnect, and rekindle with their classmates, while still being safe and participating in sports.” 

Lucy and many other students have expressed that they have enjoyed getting to see students reconnect through sports, and believe that the benefits of playing fall sports this year have outweighed the possible risks. However, while some students believe that this decision to participate in fall sports is beneficial if done in a safe manner, some also feel as though the risks outweigh the benefits of competing, particularly for students who are at a higher risk of contracting Covid-19. “As much as I love sports and would like to see everyone be able to play this season, I think the risk is too high right now. Until there’s a Covid-19 vaccine, we can’t as if everything is normal,” (Sophomore, Ava Steinberger). Although many students are excited about participating in fall sports, the risks are still apparent and are proving to be too great of a concern for many students. 

Nonetheless, there are countless reasons for participating in fall sports this year despite the current state of the pandemic. Students have expressed how being able to compete and practice has allowed them to reconnect with peers and coaches, and to continue improving at their chosen sport in a safe and productive way. However, as a community, we still must work together to ensure sports will continue in a productive and safe way that allows athletes to follow COVID restrictions and guidelines to keep athlete health at the forefront of concern.