New Year, New You: Thoughts on New Year’s Resolutions

March Issue

Olivia Ivins, Entertainment Writer

New Year’s resolutions are a common tradition in America, but more often than not they are quickly forgotten. Despite this, there are some people that fully dedicate themselves to their promise. The tradition has become so common among society that they are almost expected to be made. The question “What are your resolutions for the new year?” is unavoidable during the holiday season. After the excitement of the holidays, many people focus on what is next. It is almost impossible to make it through the Holidays without being asked the age-old question, but how do people in the WFS community feel about new year’s resolutions three months into the new year?

People that do make and keep their resolutions are rare, but do exist in the WFS community. Jack Taylor ’20 is one of the few: “I always have made resolutions. Some have lasted longer than others, but in 2017 I plan to make this year the year of improvements”. The few that are living up to their New Year’s promise have said how much they love the new year with the change! Sullivan Connors ’19, for example, “2016 was great, but I planned to make 2017 even better by making the necessary changes for an awesome new year. So far, the changes I have made have had a good impact on my life.” Eating healthy, doing well in school, and working out are some of the most basic resolutions. Sara Titone, the Upper School’s new Human Dynamics and Deveoplement teacher, expressed: “Making goals and sticking to them has become a significant part of my life. When I was younger, it was not always something I thought about or prioritized. Now being a Coach and so connected to health and wellness, I need to be accountable of my goals because I have to set an example.” This could explain the very unbalanced ratio of students that make resolutions and those who do not. Sara also explained how she creates the most effective resolution(s): “I also truly enjoy a challenge and pushing myself to accomplish something. Though starting small is the way to go I have learned! Set your sights high. But you have to break it down in order to stay motivated, not get discouraged, and get a sense of accomplishment. All of which will continue to push you forward in growth.” While there are some that can keep their promises, there are others that simply cannot.

Among the students and faculty at WFS not many can say confidently they kept their 2016 resolution. It takes a lot of self control to reach an expectation every day, week, or month. Annable Teague ’20 expressed her agreement: “I feel like some people choose very impractical resolutions and end up disappointed” Choosing a resolution is the hardest part. Choosing one that is too easy would defeat the purpose of really making a change, but choosing one too difficult would result in failure. Teague continued: “People should not stress about picking a resolution; they should choose one that they are inspired to achieve!” Remy Stewart ’17 commented on 2016 and how the course of that year pushed some to make resolutions for the upcoming year: “So many people complained about how bad their 2016 was, so making a resolution is so important for those who did not reach all their goals in 2016.” Some make and keep their resolutions, some make them and break them, and others avoid them completely.

After talking to our community about their plans for the new year it seems that everyone has slightly different aspirations. Some have kept their promises so far and are enjoying what that has brought them and others have already failed to sustain their resolution. Others are content without resolutions and love 2017 without them. If one is making a resolution it is important to choose one that is achievable, which seemed to be the most common problem with our community’s resolutions. Resolutions did not fit the lifestyle of that person, and after a few weeks (maybe!) they would give up, or simply forget them. New Year’s resolutions are a fun tradition that many participate in, but after asking the community the vast majority do not keep them or even make them. Congratulations to the few that make and keep them!