Java Nook Orchestrated by Amy Ferris

Holiday 2014

The WFS student body was introduced to the Java Nook in early September. It was an idea for the students by the students, having taken form in business meeting and flourishing from there. However, who is the real backbone behind the Java Nook?
Amy Ferris, the director of food services for Wilmington Friends School, had been working on the Java Nook since day one, even taking time over the summer to make sure that it was ready to open for students the first week of school. The Java Nook was no easy feat to accomplish. Finding a coffee and food supplier, enlisting employees to work during the school day, and setting prices were just some of the tricky jobs that Ferris had to face in the weeks predating the Java Nook’s opening. Despite the difficulties getting and keeping the Java Nook up and running, Ferris’s work paid off. Impressed with Ferris’s workmanship with the Java Nook, Eli Akerfedlt-Howard ’16 said, “Amy’s very patient with the new employees. At the same time, everything runs very smoothly, enough so that you can go during five minute breaks.” On the same note, John Blackwell ’18 noted, “She’s a great person to take on an extra responsibility with keeping the students happy. She must be very busy with the cafe and the Java Nook!”
Since the opening of the Java Nook, it has proven to be a huge success amongst students. Because it is open from the start of the school day until just before lunch, students can get snacks and drinks during their early morning frees or study halls, and even in between doubles, ensuring that students and teachers can get their coffee and muffin fixes almost anytime during the morning. Demetria Ruhl ’16 said, “It’s a great place to meet up with friends and have something good to drink or eat.” When a open forum topic was brought to business meeting in October most students were voicing praise for the coffee shop. In fact, the shop is so popular, many students were asking for the Java Nook’s hours to be extended. However, some students did voice conern over the prices of the drinks saying that not all drinks should be priced the same. The response to this has generally been that the prices are based on other schools’ prices and local shops’ prices. Generally speaking most students were pleased with the Java Nook and look forward to seeing how it develops and flourishes.
Although the idea for the Java Nook began in business meeting, the small student space could not have been made possible without the hard work of Amy Ferris. So, next time you are taking a bite into your delicious chocolate chip muffin or taking a long sip of your warm cider this winter, make sure to think about the behind the scenes brains of the Java Nook. Also, whether she’s at typing in your cafeteria code during lunch, serving up drinks at the Java Nook, or just chatting with students, make sure to say your thank you’s to Amy Ferris.