All About Amy: Serving WFS For 25 Years

Awards Issue 2016

All About Amy: Serving WFS For 25 Years

This year marked the 25th anniversary of Amy Ferris, the beloved Director of Food Services, in the upper school.

Throughout her career at WFS, students have appreciated Amy’s hard work and dedication to the school in serving a delicate balance of healthy food. Maddie Malone ‘18,  stated, “I speak on the behalf of the whole school when I say that her commitment to pleasing the students is valued highly.” Another student, Briana Lloyd ‘17, also shared this opinion: “I really enjoy having the Java Nook here at school to provide me with my much-needed coffee so I can get through my day, in addition to some delicious snacks to get me through until lunch. Thank goodness for Amy!” Hence, all feel that Amy has provided a service unparalleled to those in surrounding areas.

When asked about her experiences within the tight-knit community of WFS, Amy reciprocated the gratitude by saying, “WFS is my home and has been for the last 25 years… I especially enjoy interacting with students and parents, and making the students excited about the food, and the coffee bar!”

Many view the cafeteria and Java Nook space here at WFS as places with a multitude of benefits. Students often describe these spots as comfortable and idle-friendly places that serve its share of nutritious meals as well as sinful sweets. A frequent customer and freshman Addie Trudel ‘19, expressed her appreciation regarding one of the hotspots around school: “I like Java Nook’s coffee. I always look forward to grabbing one at break or in between a class.” According to all of the students asked about their favorite treat, the muffins were the item that continued to be a source of drooling. Whether it be chocolate chip or french toast, these pastries had no trouble in attracting and maintaining its positive feedback.

Although WFS has its share of divine indulgences, Amy has made it her priority to serve dishes that allow students to sustain optimal health while also catering to the diverse tastes of those in the community. Amy revealed, “Students tastes have changed, trends have changed, and people want to be more healthy today than they did 25 years ago… We are unique in that the school takes into account the wishes of parents and students and blends them to hopefully satisfy everyone.” She continued, “My staff and I try to do all we can to make the dining experience a good one.” Her utter dedication and motivation to provide the finest service and quality dining experience have been made apparent in the eyes of all.

This influx of sustainable snacks and other products has in turn caused a decrease in otherwise unhealthy foods. Amy said, “We have always tried to please the students with keeping a delicate balance of serving healthy food.  Some students see this as a negative, but we feel we are doing the best thing for the students. We have eliminated things like donuts, french fries, and sugary soda which most students would say are their favorite items.” Amy’s response clearly showed an unwavering commitment to the long-term health of the students. Regardless of the addition of the wholesome foods, Amy has made it her goal to provide foods that fit every student’s needs.

All of those who have acquainted themselves with Amy have maintained the notion that she has been an upholding member of this school. The WFS community strongly agrees that Amy has been a valued faculty member and friend who has continued to touch students’ hearts and stomachs alike.

Thank  you so much Amy for all your hard work!