What Happened to Our Vacation Time?

Bella Adjei-Owusu, Weekly writer

Getting time off from school is always enjoyable. You’re finally able to get some downtime from balancing the rigorous WFS curriculum with spending time with friends and family. Thanksgiving break is supposed to be the first of three major opportunities for an essential vacation from school, yet the students feel as though their well-deserved break was shortened. The two crucial days before the break continue to cause annoyance throughout the student body, and the burning question was raised: why do we need to be in school Monday and Tuesday? 

While students have always looked forward to Thanksgiving Break, they are repeatedly disappointed not to receive the full week off. The student body seems to understand that having the full week off will mean the end of the school year will be extended, but some consider it worth it. Abby Carian ’22 had commented, “It would’ve been nice to at least have the whole week off. Everyone dreaded Monday and Tuesday. It seemed unnecessary to still have those two days of school.” Having two days of school before getting the rest of the week off limits vacation and planning opportunities.  Ilana Princilus ’22 had a direct opinion on this issue stating, “Having school on the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving creates a lot of conflict for those with family members who are off the whole week. Families may have to alter or completely cancel previous plans because they want to support their WFS child’s primary educational obligation.” As members of the WFS community, we all want to focus on our school and work life, but we also need breaks for our personal lives. These days of school give the WFS community only five days away which most would consider “not enough.”

Coming back to school with only a couple of weeks until Winter break gives the students a breath of fresh air before the intense amount of work and studying that will occur. With stress from upcoming midterms, students believe they deserved a  slightly longer break before returning to school the following Monday. Having to complete a long, tiring, nine months of school with only three shortened breaks does not completely satisfy our student body. Mrs.Zug had a distinct opinion on this issue. She explained, “Most boarding schools take off the full week. We are not a boarding school, so we do not have the full week off.” She also had added, the school used to have full school days up until Wednesday which was a half day. So having the full day off on Wednesday is a newer grant that has been given to our community.

The importance of having time off is necessary and shouldn’t be overlooked. Even though most members of the WFS community enjoy coming to school, and extended amount of time off is important for mental health and would be appreciated. We hope to see more thought and action on this issue for Thanksgiving break in the years to come.