Hockey Season Chances and Tschantzs

Becca Hartwick, Community Writer

The hockey season is always an exciting time and hopes are high since many teams have yet to reach full potential, and some yet to disappoint. It’s a time in which all teams have hope for what is to come. The NHL standings are based on how many “points” you get. If you win a game, you get 2 points, but if the game goes into overtime, no matter which team wins, both teams get a single point. The current NHL standings are, according to the league, in the Eastern Conference, Boston Bruins in the Atlantic division, with 24 total points, then the Washington Capitals in the Metropolitan division with 25 points. In the Western Conference, the St. Louis Blues lead with 25 points in the Central division, and the Edmonton Oilers with 22 in the Pacific division. 

Many NHL fans have opinions on the leading teams and a few of those fans even reside at Wilmington Friends school. For example, Jacob Jaworski 20’, a senior at WFS who even used to play youth hockey, is a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. His opinion on the current leading teams is as follows, “The NHL is funny. I think it is way too early to say anything about the NHL standings. Last year, at the New Year, the St. Louis Blues were in dead last and they ended up making a run and winning the Stanley Cup. You never know what is going to happen.” Though he makes the point that the NHL is unpredictable, he does think the New York Islanders and Edmonton Oilers will be some surprise teams that could go far this year. Another hockey fan, Aine Grubb 21’, a junior and Boston Bruins fan agreed, saying, “If what last year taught us with the Blues is that it doesn’t matter what your record is at the beginning of the season, but at the end of the season, and especially what happens in the playoffs because, with any sport, anything can happen.” Both Jaworski and Grubb mentioned that the NHL is largely unpredictable and that really anything could happen, especially so early in the season. 

That is what makes the NHL so entertaining to watch. Not many sports can have a bottom of the roster team win in the playoffs, or even have teams score in less than 5 seconds. In fact, it can be quite common for hockey teams to score in the last 10 seconds of period or game, something that’s more unique and astonishing in football. Aine Grubb even said that’s partly why she is a hockey fan, “It’s just a fun and exciting sport to watch.” She also appreciated the camaraderie and how even though not as popular, the players still get paid very well to do something they love. And though she is right about hockey not being quite as popular as other sports, she is also right about how exciting the game is, it is truly quite entertaining. 

As entertaining as the NHL is the lower leagues are also just as entertaining! Not only did Delaware online boast that Delaware is getting it’s own team, the Delaware Thunder in the FPHL, but also a Wilmington Friends alum recently became part of the SPHL team, the Knoxville Ice Bears! Dwyer Tschantz graduated Friends in 2013, and according to Elite Prospects and the NHL, he went on to play on several hockey teams including the Philadephia Jr. Flyers, Team Comcast 18U, and the Indiana Ice, who he even helped win the Clark Cup! Then he went to Cornell University and played for the Cornell University Big Red, and then to the Maine Mariners and now on the Knoxville Ice Bears.

However, Tschantz is one of few Delawarean players. Currently, there has only ever been one NHL player from Delaware, cites QuantHockey, Mark Eaton. And the lower leagues haven’t had many Delaware-born players either. Although Tschantz didn’t play in the NHL, he was originally drafted in it by the St. Louis Blues in the 7th round, making him the first Delawarean drafted into the NHL. This just goes to show that not only should we celebrate a Friends alum making it far into professional hockey, but also someone from Delaware, a state not known for hockey players. Dwyer Tschantz should stand as a further reminder and role model to Friends students to chase your dreams, even when the chances seem slim.