The Library: For Books or Hanging Out?

Holiday 2014

The school library at Wilmington Friends has always been a large part of our community. It has provided space for meetings, a quiet place to study, and a hangout area for students. Wilmington Friends has two librarians currently working in the library; Mary Woodward, the Upper School librarian, and Mrs.Hendrix, Middle School librarian and Information Technology Literacy (ITL) teacher. Also working in the library are the school’s technology geniuses; Greg Miller, the Director of Technology, and Todd Tyler. The library has become a space for students to meet up and chat post-lunch or after school.
Students were all very willing to speak about the library and their viewpoints on the matter. When asked about the library being a hangout for students to meet up, they replied, “I think that the library is pretty good as it is. I haven’t been disturbed so far when I am in there working, and I enjoy being able to catch up with my friends as well,”.
An anonymous student says that they believe they are speaking for some of the community of Wilmington Friends student body when they say this. Many students say that they so far in the library while they have been working they have not been disturbed by friends rendezvous
. The same student as before also commented, “All of the students are very respectful and consciences of all the teachers and students working.” Many people comment that students are all very respectful with the tone and volume of their voices in the library especially when they are aware that others are working.
There are definitely some students who have a more extreme point of view on the library. Some students believe that that the library should primarily be more of a hangout.
They say that students need a place to relax and have a chance to catch up with friends more than a place for studying because that is what they do all day during classes.
Katie Houston ’20, says, “The library should definitely be more of a place to hang out than a place to study because already not many students use it to study and not many want to,”
The student body feels strongly that their space to hangout should not be taken away from them. Some students do use the library as a place to study but they also use it as a place to hangout and catch up with friends. When asked Leah Johnson ’18 says in regards to the library being a hangout and a place to study,
“It allows me to get my homework done and catch up with friends I don’t have any classes with.” Her comment speaks for many of the student body because while some do try and get work done while in the library, they also use it as a time to chat and catch up with friends.
The library is also a huge part of the schools resource center. The tone of the student body is that the library, while always useful as a place to study, should continue to be a place for people to hangout with their friends.
The WFS student body believes the library is a necessary aspect of the school with all of its many uses.