Service Committee Saves the Day

Homecoming 2014

The Service Committee is a club that focuses on planning and advertising events, starting fundraisers, and volunteering as a group in various projects around the city. Richard Bernard, a phenomenal teacher and leader who retired after the 2010-11 school year, created the club in 2009. Behnaz Varamini, an Upper School Spanish teacher, now runs the Service Committee. She also works as the Upper School Service Program Coordinator and Senior Team Clerk.

Ms. Varamini had only good things to say about the students on the Service Committee. She spoke about how they all have bonded and noted how much they were helping the community. “The group has really come together by doing service,” said Ms. Varamini. The overall feeling towards the Service Committee is extremely supportive and approving. Last year, the Service Committee organized MLK workshops for the Upper School. A variety of club leaders spoke to students about the service initiatives their club focuses on, and it was a great way to raise student awareness on types of service students could partake in.

Ms. Varamini explained the Service Committee’s values as mainly to serve the community and to help encourage others to start doing community service. The goals of this committee focus on increasing awareness for service-related opportunities in the community.  Some of the interesting activities the Service Committee has completed include planting trees, cleaning cemeteries, organizing fundraisers, and making signs for service events. For example, on Earth Day last year, they went to the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery to volunteer.

The committee has bonded as a result of doing service. One example of this is last year, when the committee left school for Earth Day, they brought snacks and enjoyed cleaning the cemetery.  When Ms. Varamini first suggested the work, the group was hesitant and unsure as to what type of help they would provide. After some time, they realized that the work they supplied was both helpful and productive. The service activity that stuck out the most to Ms. Varamini was the penny drive for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation because it offered a fun way to raise money for a good cause. Wilmington Friends raised over $600 and awarded the winning team with an Olive Garden lunch. Intense competition ensued, while at the same time the students helped a great cause. The Service Committee welcomes anyone who enjoys helping others. If students feel positive and happy serving others, enjoy interacting with different people, and want to get to know the Friends community better, they will truly enjoy Service Committee.

The Service Committee  will continue to do great service for the school community and others. It truly represents the core values of Wilmington Friends School, focusing on helping those less fortunate. It is a committed group of individuals that will offer service-related help to a variety of causes. The group is easy to join (meets on seven) and always welcomes new students. The Service Committee allows students to make a change in others’ lives.