Student Scientists Step Up to the Challenge

March 2014

The Wilmington Friends Science Olympiad club traveled to Delaware State University on Mar. 1, 2014 for a full day of competition at the 2014 Delaware Science Olympiad tournament. Clerked by seniors Sonia Kumar and Grayton Downing, the club included seniors Chase Conley, Thomas Connelly, Kenji Endo, Jamie Harper, Graham Haubert, Jesse Miller, Jamie Martelli-Raben, Tate Muratori-Levit, Matt Schmittle, Greg Szumel, Dan Shaw, Joey Woodward, and freshmen Jayna Jones and Margaret Sullivan. Upper school biology teacher Ellen Johnson and upper school physics teacher Matt Cauchy sponsored the club.

Friends student scientists participated in events exploring areas including life science, geology, astronomy, chemistry, physics, technology and engineering, and the nature of science. Events ranged from mechanical and structural build events, lab activities, and partner written exams.

Out of over fifty Delaware teams competing, freshmen Margaret Sullivan and Jayna Jones received the eighth place medal in Boomilever, seniors Matt Schmittle and Thomas Connelly medaled tenth in Circuit Lab, and seniors Jesse Miller and Dan Shaw received the tenth place medal in Adventures in Ag. In addition, Friends placed top twenty in Anatomy and Physiology, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Technical Problem Solving, and Write It Do It.

The following are pictures from the event.