Congratulating Our College Athletes

Weekly Update

Mary Woodward

Seniors and their coaches pose for a picture after the official signing.

Anna Fahey, News Writer

College decisions are inevitable during senior year of high school, and with them comes hundreds of factors to consider from each and every school. A big decision that some students make is whether or not to play school sports. These six WFS students have already signed on to play for their chosen colleges.

“I really couldn’t imagine giving up something I’ve been doing since I was 12,” says Alex Musi ’17, who will be playing volleyball at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. “It just seems like a good idea, especially because it will help me stay in shape while in college.” She decided to not let sports influence which college she would attend. “I looked at how as a student I would fit in… I actually ended up only having D3 schools on my list. I am so, so excited. I already found a roommate who will be on my team!”

Musi’s fellow Quaker Volleyball Captain, Alyssa Nathan ’17, is getting ready to play volleyball for Swarthmore College; she is thrilled to play with a team as friendly and welcoming as Friends’. “I’ve met a lot of people on the team, and they are all so nice! I am missing WFS volleyball right now, so I’m excited to get a little bit of that back… I’m excited!” She had been hoping to play volleyball in college for years, but tried to not let it interfere with which college she would attend. Now, she is looking forward to the whole experience and trying hard to push away the nerves. “I am really worried about the beginning of college, but I think sports will provide a nice community.”

Blair Atkins ’17, who will attend Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, didn’t always plan to swim after her high school years–she just always played sports because she loved being athletic. “I have little experience with year round swimming, unlike most of the other kids on the team.” She’d been nervous about not having enough experience, but felt better after meeting her team during an overnight. “They didn’t care as much about how good I was or what my times were, but more about how much I wanted to be there.”

On the other hand, Simone Veale ’17 who will be attending WIlliam College in Williamstown Massachusetts, knew she would commit to play Field Hockey by her sophomore year. “I began to realize that giving up Field Hockey was not an option.” She focused on academics over sports when deciding which school to pick, but “Field Hockey essentially drove my college process. Finding a school that fit my athletic and academic goals was challenging, but I honestly don’t think I could have done it any other way.” For now, she’s just excited to go to college and continue playing field hockey after she graduates.

Sean Cochran ’17 will be swimming for Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, whose swimming team has a history of success. They’ve sent students to the NCAA Division III Championships, and the men’s team has earned All-America honors three times.

Andrew Jaworski ’17 signed on to play for Colgate University in Hamilton, New York, early in the year. He says that sports has always been a part of him. “I always either had a hockey or lacrosse stick in my hands, or a football,” he says. It was natural that he would keep playing after high school. Colgate is a Division l FCS school, so he’s ready to play at a much more competitive level. “I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to play and compete for not only a Patriot League title but also a National FCS Title.”

As our seniors come closer and closer to the end of their high school careers, the excitement and nerves about their upcoming academic and athletic adventure builds. The class of 2017 is dispersing across the country, but we hope they find success wherever they go. Good luck to these six students who we know have great seasons coming up ahead of them!