Excitement for Spirit Week!

Weekly Update

Friends students dressed up for America Day

Evie Kortanek

Matt Byer, Entertainment Writer

Wilmington Friends School is more than an abundance of homework, quizzes, essays, exams, and anxiety. It is a supportive and connected community of people, who can express their appreciation, pride, and unity in a single week: Spirit Week. A week that invigorates the student body, preparing them and getting them in the right mindset for the upcoming Homecoming.

Although Spirit Week is intended to be a precursor to Homecoming, the WFS community still eagerly anticipates it; it stands alone as a separate event. “I look forward to spirit week,” said Nick Gauthier ‘17, “it’s a way for the student body to get creative and be individual while keeping in mind the institution we represent collectively. I’ve only been here for one year, but last year I enjoyed the different themes, and I think it’s revealing to see what days my classmates get into and the ones they take a backseat for. ” He went on to comment on the meaning behind this particular (and peculiar) span of days: “We should have a spirit week to remind the student body that we are Friends, we are Quakers, and that’s something to take pride in. Also, it’s an opportunity we’ll most likely only have in high school, and it’s nice to take advantage of that.” Many share Gauthier’s opinion, thinking of Spirit Week as not only “the before” of Homecoming, but as an opportunity for the student body to come together and express themselves. Marie DeVoll ‘18, shared her opinion: “I’ve always thought spirit week was a fun way to get hype, and I think we should have it because it gets everyone excited and looking forward to homecoming and getting together to have fun.” DeVoll’s comments coincide with Gauthier’s, noting that Spirit Week is an effective way to bring students together. She also mentions an essential aspect of Spirit Week’s success, and the most simple one: the fun. “Spirit is fun because it’s a dress down week and it gets you excited for homecoming,” she stated. “One thing I really like about spirit week is seeing how into it people get,” said Simone Veale ‘17, another spirit enthusiast, “Even if people don’t get into it as much, having this week is a nice break in hectic time as the first interim is ending.” Veale points out that the excitement and fun surrounding Spirit Week can relieve stress. She went on: “I have always been a big fan of spirit week since I first started dressing up. I think it’s a great way to let people have some fun and dress up in really crazy outfits. I also think that it’s a great way to get people excited for homecoming.”

Although the current state of Spirit Week is what the community is familiar with, it wasn’t always like this. “Spirit Week has changed markedly over the decades,” said Lynn Puritz-Fine, dean of students, “Before I came to Friends in 1989, I’m told that each class decorated their own real parade float! In the early 90s, each grade would decorate a designated hallway very dramatically, with a theme- it was such a huge a deal that the school finally had to put a limit on the amount of money a class could spend on decorations!” While Puritz-Fine notes the evolution and changes that Spirit Week has undergone throughout the years, she also mentioned traditions that have been around for awhile: “The two constants have been the dress up days and the pep rally (which has evolved from skits performed by each team into games).” It’s interesting to consider that the Spirit Week the WFS community has come to know and love, wasn’t the same for classes before, and most likely won’t be the same for classes to come.

The WFS Spirit Week is a time for expression of pride, excitement, fun, and unity amongst the student body. It gets the majority of the school hyped for Homecoming and serves as a reminder of how lucky we are to be a part of a large, supportive, open, and friendly community here at WFS. So, go mix and match, or style some neon! Go show off your pajamas and U.S.A attire! Go represent your grade on color day! Go throw on some white and blue, and go Quakers!