Music and Unity at Wilmington Friends

Homecoming Issue

Tess Beardell, Features Writer

When window shopping for a new school, many parents have the same standard list of requirements: good teachers, a welcoming community, triumphant arts programs, and an environment that encourages student involvement with school activities. When following this checklist, many families are led to Wilmington Friends School. At Friends, we are lucky enough to have all of these aspects present in our community, but what is even better is that they all combine to bring us closer. This is especially true when it comes to the various arts programs at Friends.

We see the ways that the arts can bring us together in the theater programs at friends. Take it from Alexandra Musi ’17, who has participated in three Friends musicals since her freshman year. “I find the musicals strengthen bonds between students because they give time for us to spend time with people in other grades who share a common interest” Musi commented. Unlike regular class time, the rehearsals for the plays and musicals offer the unique comfort of being surrounded by people who are truly passionate about and invested in a common experience. This luxury of shared interest and equal effort combine to create a distinct connection between peers. Margaret Anne Butterfield voiced her wholehearted agreement with this thought when she pointed out that “because music is around us all the time, it’s quite easy to forget it, but when there are groups like chamber singers and the cast of our musicals presenting it to the rest of the school community it’s much easier to remember its significance. For example, most of those smaller groups have special bonds within themselves, so when they present a piece of music or a play to the whole community it is as if the whole community is getting to be a part of that bond.”

One of the most prominent examples of this notion can be taken from the outpouring of support and words of praise directed towards the cast and crew of last year’s spring play, The Laramie Project. The play surrounds the act and aftermath of a brutal hate crime committed against a gay teenager, Matthew Shepard, in Laramie, Wyoming. Instead of continuing with regular school activities after the in-school performance, students and teachers alike were welcomed and encouraged to share their preliminary responses to the performance in advisory groups directly afterwards. Andrew Slomski ’17 participated in the play and was able to share his firsthand insight into the experience: “The Laramie Project obviously covered a very sensitive topic, so especially after the initial daytime performance of the play it was an incredibly valuable way to understand how our community can come together in wake of tragedy.” Slomski’s comment describes a feeling much of the Friends’ community can relate to, and in those groups we were all thankful to have such a strong network of support surrounding us.

At the end of the day, what is truly memorable about Friends School is its ability to unite students from all walks of life over music and theater. It shows that we are able to offer one another support in wake of difficulty and share a sense of common spirituality through music. Even Margaret Sullivan ’17, who was unfortunately unable to participate in this year’s musical was able to set aside her grief to offer words of support for the arts program. She proudly proclaimed, “I love the musicals, I have always planned to be in every single one!” Margaret’s quote expresses a sentiment common to much of the Wilmington Friends community.