The Big Green GLC Machine

Holiday Issue: Innovation and the Mind

By driving our cars, heating our homes, and using electricity, the world’s population is emitting more than thirty billion metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere each year. Emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases are contributing to the greenhouse effect, a phenomenon where the greenhouse gases act like a blanket on the Earth, absorbing radiation and preventing it from escaping into space. This is causing the gradual heating of Earth’s atmosphere and surface, a process known as global warming. As we continue to go about our daily lives without much consideration of the direct effects our choices make on the Earth, global warming might become life threatening, with stronger hurricanes and heat waves among many other disasters. With the option of renewable energies such as solar panels and geothermal technology, Wilmington Friends is substantially decreasing its carbon footprint on the environment by using renewable energies and setting a great example as to how we can still go about our daily lives without causing such harm to the environment.

Ken Aldridge, head of the Upper School, explained the innovative technology, “The GLC has a significant solar power array that provides power to the building. Additionally, there are geothermal wells, which help regulate the water used to heat and cool the building. Each classroom has LED lighting and 4 solar tubes. The solar tubes capture natural sunlight and can be opened/closed through the use of dampeners.” The administration’s goal is to have these innovative choices for our school inspire not only other schools to become environmentally friendly, but also the individuals within. Jerica Xu ’18 shared, “I’m proud to go to a school that makes environmentally friendly choices by using energy efficient alternatives, especially because global warming is an increasing problem.”

These innovations in the GLC not only provide inspiration for students, but also improve learning, as Upper School Spanish Teacher, Chamby, stated, “Compared to the former language rooms on the third floor, it gives students a little more space to move around, a little more space to be creative, and it’s a Global/Language wing, which gives it an international feel. There is lots of space outside of the rooms as well, enabling students to get extra help and/or work on skits or presentations.” Similarly,  Aldridge added, “We’ve already witnessed how students have used these spaces and the renovated Library Learning Commons in imaginative ways.” The administration is focused on learning inside and outside of the classroom, as they make structural and environmental innovations in the school, and let the students’ imagination and creativity flow outside of the school.

As greenhouse gas emissions increasing, with electrical emissions contributing 38% to total emissions, drastic changes must be made to secure the wellbeing of our planet and its inhabitants. By supporting our school’s electrical needs with renewable energy, we are supporting the fight to save our world. Mr. Aldridge sums it up, saying, “We have a mission-based obligation to always work to reflect and to test ideas and practices against experiences and changes in the world. Our sure philosophical foundation requires us to innovate, recognizing that the only true innovation is continuing innovation.”