WFS Volleyball Resilient in Loss

Weekly Article

Varsity Volleyball Team

quakerssports.com

Varsity Volleyball Team

As fall transitions into winter, the regular season turns into the playoffs. Teams from all over the state battle it out on the court or the field for that elusive state championship so many student-athletes dream of winning. Wilmington Friends has had great success during the regular season, sending three different teams into the state tournament. Perhaps the most notable game of the week came last Tuesday, when the number four ranked WFS Volleyball Team played against the number 5 ranked Ursuline Academy.

These two teams have built up quite the rivalry in the past two years, with a heartbreaking loss in the fifth set last year, to a win in four sets this year during the regular season. With everything on the line, the two teams met in the quarterfinals to decide who would advance and who would fall. Unfortunately, WFS was unable to overcome their rivals in this game. It was another heartbreaking game that was decided in the fifth set, eerily similar to their game against Ursuline one year ago.

Even though many people are saddened by this loss, there are still some positive aspects that can be taken away from the situation. First Team All-State Athlete and captain Alyssa Nathan ‘17, commented, “I was really happy with the way we ended the season. Obviously I wish we could have proceeded in the state tournament, but we went out fighting and playing really well. Everyone gave their all, and that is all you can ask for. I’m sad to see the seniors go, but I’m definitely looking forward to next year and the progress we can make. We have many key players returning next year which will hopefully allow us to have a successful season.” There is a lot to look forward to next season as the team will get ready for another attempt at a deep run into the playoffs. This team’s success has made a great impact on the student body, as they have amassed a great amount of followers who show up to each and every game.

Many students come to the games for different reasons. WFS student Jeffrey Mcabee ‘18 explained what he likes about going to the games, “I enjoy going to the games because I can socialize as well as support my friends while they play.” These games are filled with students who want to show up and have fun, just as much as cheering on their school. The WFS student section is oftentimes hard to overlook, as the rowdy cheers heard all across the gym can add to the drama as well as change the outcome of the game. Daniel Shabazian ’16, commented, “I feel like our student section’s passion was noticed by our players and that gave them an extra push. I also think we were able to distract the team we played.” The student section undeniably always has a great impact on the game, as they come ready to cheer on the WFS volleyball team.

While this quarterfinals match is one for the books, what the future holds is not. WFS volleyball has a lot of great talent returning to play next fall, and the entire school is already excited. Mcabee continued, “Friends volleyball is so relentless and talented, and I can’t wait to see what kind of season they have next year.” The volleyball team has had quite the season this year, and there is a lot to be proud of. The bittersweet ending of the season leaves fans, players, and coaches alike waiting to see if WFS volleyball will be hoisting that elusive trophy next year.