Wyatt Thompson, Phil Trainer, Sarah Brennen-Martin and Molly Harper Win Wyeth Brothers Award

Awards 2015

It’s awards season at Friends School! The Wyeth Brothers Award is presented to students who excel in the Performing and Visual Arts Department at school. This year, there were two students chosen for both the visual and performing aspects of the award. These four students are leaders in their field and exemplify the value of the visual and performing arts at Friends.

The Performing Arts Department decided to honor both Wyatt Dylan Thompson and Phil Trainer for their outstanding contributions to the performing arts scene at Friends. According to Mrs. Butterfield, Wyatt “has been heavily involved in the music program at Friends and is a leader in the chorale group.” He has been in every musical production from his sophomore to senior year; including lead roles in a Sound of Music and Once Upon a Mattress. Additionally, he brainstormed, planned, and produced the school’s first student run production, Three on a Bench. Even when not on stage, he has been involved in various middle school productions and some behind the scenes work. “He has gotten to know the performing arts scene at Friends from a wide variety of perspectives,” stated Ms. Butterfield. Phil Trainer, the second recipient of this award, has been involved in every almost Friends production for the past four years, including middle and lower school productions. According to Todd Tyler, “he has been crucial in the behind-the-scenes action in just about every role possible – running the show, rigging, working the spotlight and sound, and more.” In addition, he has helped with a good number of the concerts and is clerk of the lighting and sound committee. For his senior exploration, he did more work for the theater at friends; setting up, making manuals for everyone to use, and taking inventory of everything being done.

The Visual Arts Department chose to award both Sarah Brennen-Martin and Molly Harper for their tremendous commitments to the arts at Friends. Sarah Brennen-Martin joined visual arts major during her senior year, although she has pursued her interest in visual arts during all 4 years of high school. When asked what prompted the department to honor Sarah, Ms. Mellow stated: “As a major, the work that Sarah produced equated a high level of commitment and skill. This is particularly highlighted by the fact that she worked many hours outside of her coursework on visual projects.” Sarah is particularly committed to her interest in fashion, particularly textile design. For one of her projects this year, she created a textile design, printed and designed a dress with it. According to Ms. Mellow, “although she has a quiet creative presence, the energy that she shows in her work definitely demonstrates her skill.” Molly Harper was the second recipient of this award. She has been in the IB program for 2 years and was fully committed to the rigorous curriculum, gaining more and more confidence in her artistic abilities throughout her time involved. She often has had an underlying component in her projects that deal with her interest in current events and ecology/environmentalism. “She is just very committed in her visual research and was consistently engaged, really going beyond even traditional media in her work. She challenged herself and was a responsible art student,” Ms. Mellow commented.

All four of these students have made exceptional contributions to the Visual and Performing Arts Program at Friends. We are sad to see them go, but wish them well in the next chapter of their lives. We know that they are all destined for great things!