Ruhl and Conces Accept Bush Award

Awards 2015

As students prepare their final projects and study for finals, May becomes very busy and exciting. One of the anticipated events is the announcement of this year’s award winners. The Bush Award, named after former principal Charles W. Bush, is given to the junior boy and girl who most exemplify the Friend’s school ideals of scholarship, character, and service. This award is given to someone who has shown significant leadership in multiple, if not all, categories of school life. The Bush Award is one of the most prestigious awards given at Wilmington Friends, as it is awarded to a well-rounded student who provides significant enrichment to the school.

This year’s female winner of the Bush Award is Demetria Ruhl. Demetria has demonstrated tremendous leadership in her time at Wilmington Friends School. In the words of Bradey Bulk, 11th grade Dean, “She is the model of a servant-leader who always puts others before herself.” Her quiet, sincere, and kind gestures towards others are a testament to the Friends School ideals. Demetria participates in all different categories of the school. Her participation in the arts includes her status as a positive and cheerful member of the Chamber Singers choir. As a link crew leader, Lynn Puritz-Fine said of Demetria: “Demetria’s generosity of spirit and genuine care for others spoke to who she is as a person.” Demetria also takes this care to sports. Not only is she a terrific athlete, but she is a leader on the team as a varsity swimmer and varsity lacrosse goalie. Her persistently upbeat attitude is a great addition to every team she is on. Demetria is also very dedicated to her life as a student. Bulk said, “Demetria is a young woman of sterling character who takes her career as a student very seriously.” Overall, Demetria has enriched the lives of students and faculty at Wilmington Friends through her countless contributions to the school.

The male winner of this year’s Bush Award is Andrew Conces. His leadership in the classroom shows through his actions as a thoughtful and reliable student. He has gained the respect of the faculty through his devotion to his studies and great attitude. Andrew’s earning of the Business Meeting Secretary position indicates the admiration of his peers. Hardworking and supportive of his teammates,  Andrew leads by example on the sports field. Andrew has shared his passion for sports by collecting and donating used baseball equipment to kids he met on the Dominican Republic DREAM trip. Andrew’s passion for service doesn’t end there. As a mentor at the Boys and Girls club, he created a long lasting relationship with inner-city kids. He also participated in the Appalachian Service project, building and repairing houses for those in need in West Virginia. Andrew explained to Spanish Teacher Behnaz Varamini: “This trip helped me be more grateful for the opportunities that I am given.” His passion for service and mindfulness of others truly epitomises the Friends School ideals.  Andrew has also been a positive member in the arts community, participating in many musicals. Though he played minor parts, he was a productive and respectful member of the cast. Andrew’s leadership in all areas has proven himself an enhancement to the community. Bradey Bulk commented on these attributes, “He has garnered the respect of his peers and teachers through his understated leadership.”

In their past years at Friends, Demetria and Andrew have excelled in every aspect of school life. They have served as excellent leaders to the community, enriching the lives of teachers, students, and teammates. There is no doubt that these two will continue to have a positive impact on those around them in their senior year.