Freedman Wales, Wales, and Foreign Language Awards

Awards 2015

As the year comes to a close, students at Wilmington Friends have the opportunity to reflect on achievements and experiences that have occurred over this school year. The Eden Wales Freedman ‘99 English Award recognizes a student’s exceptional ability in the field. This year, the honor has been awarded to Senior Shannon Skibicki. The award was designed last year to acknowledge a junior or senior who makes charitable and positive contributions to his or her English classes, exhibits skill in both literary analysis and writing, as well as appreciates and understands literature as an art. The consistent laud from her teachers and peers regarding her efforts make it easy to see why Skibicki was selected for the award. Daniel Scott, Whittier Advisor and 9th Grade English Teacher, commented on Shannon’s achievements, “I always found intellectual curiosity alive and busy in Shannon, no matter what the task, and that curiosity was paired with innate compassion and consideration for others.” Tenth and Twelfth Grade English Teacher, Lauren Gutstein, added, “Not only is Shannon incredibly hard working, but her curiosity for the subject and ‘out of the box’ thinking really set her apart.” Shannon has also demonstrated willingness to push new boundaries and explore the subject. “Shannon’s eagerness to learn extends in every direction, and as a result, she responds very positively to being pushed to work or think in new ways. Her willingness to ‘get it wrong’ often meant that she ‘got it right’ in really interesting and important ways,” elaborated Scott.

Shannon’s success in bringing this intellectual curiosity and strong work ethic over to the history field earned her an additional recognition for her efforts: the Jordon Wales ‘97 History Award! WFS presents the award to an upper school student that has demonstrated a distinctive mastery of skills in historical research, analysis and interpretation, debate, and writing, while acting as a leader in the classroom and establishing an awareness of societal issues and consequences relating to historical events.  The History department recognizes the student’s achievements and contributions at Wilmington Friends, and also the student’s promise in future study of history and application of its lessons toward the common good. Head of History Department Scott Clothier discussed the department’s consideration of Shannon’s qualities earning her the award: “Shannon, as a History student, excelled in a variety of areas that we find important as a department,” Clothier continued, “These include, but were not limited to, her ability to examine, interpret and analysis both primary and secondary sources and with her mastery of research which culminated in investigations for both 20th Century World History Topics and World Religions.” Clothier also recognized the writing skills Shannon carefully applied to her work, explaining, “Her writing style is clear, concise, and articulate. She remains objective while driving to the heart of matter.”

Skibicki has established herself as a scholarly student, capable of achieving great things. Her teachers have praised her skillful contributions to their classroom and we are sad to see her go. Shannon’s momentous achievements are only the beginning of a long road ahead.

Similarly, the Upper School Foreign Language Award recognizes focus, commitment, and passion for learning. Developing a mastery of a foreign language is not a task that comes effortlessly. However, Chloe Hudson and Emilio Ergueta, recipients of the award, prove that with patience and determination, it can be done! The Upper School Foreign Language Department looks for junior students who, in the study of language, demonstrates both a distinctive level of proficiency and a passion for learning. This student serves as a mentor and inspiration to classmates. In character as a learner, the student further demonstrates cultural openness and appreciation.

The accomplishments of both Chloe and Emilio were so significant that the Foreign Language Department thought each student deserved an award for their efforts. Bradey Bulk, Head of the Foreign Language Department commended the recipients, “Emilio [French] and Chloe [Spanish] stand out from the rest because apart from their superior levels of proficiency, the foreign language department sees them as models of cultural openness,” She commented, “In addition, they are both generous and patient mentors in the classroom and beyond. Neither is content to rest on their laurels; they each avidly continue to learn and improve, taking advantage of every opportunity to do so.” Chloe and Emilio have dedicated their time and efforts into acquiring exceptional skills in the subject of foreign language. Both students have made such substantial contributions to their learning environment and WFS refuses to let their efforts go unnoticed. We can not wait to see what these two will accomplish in the future. Congratulations, Emilio and Chloe!