Prism Night: Lights, Camera, Art!

February 2015

Jenks and Mr. Rashkind perform at Prism Night last year

Prism Night is a talent show that allows any student or faculty member to perform or share their artistic talents. The performances range from musical performances to showing short film clips.The purpose of Prism is to allow students who appreciate art in any form to express themselves by bringing their talents to the attention of the rest of the school through their contributions to the “Prism Magazine” and participation on “Prism Night.” The Prism club sets up and manages the show. Boards also display the artwork of students on Prism Night. Some past examples of what students have performed are things like mixing a few songs together and playing their mash up by instrument, or even reading a self-written poem. The possibilities are endless for what can be performed during Prism Night. The Prism magazine, which is filled with art submitted by the high school community, is available during or after Prism night, for no cost. Anyone is able to participate in the show. Teachers including Ms. Mellow, Mr. Whittenberg, and Mr. Rashkind have even performed in the past at Prism Night. Students who participate in Prism are also able to express their artistic talents throughout the school year by hanging their creations on boards around the school or in the prism magazine.

The club gains more popularity each year, and many students have good things to say about the club and its unique purpose. Ciara Graves ’16, who has been a member of Prism since her sophomore year, said, “I really like the club because it lets everyone from the school get a chance to present their artistic talent.” The members meet together on Day 7 during lunch to discuss ways to raise money for Prism Night. Typical methods used to raise money by the club are things like bakes sales, decorating contests, and making t-shirts to sell to the students at Wilmington Friends. Another member of the club, Jackie Connor ’16, said, “Prism is awesome because you don’t have to be artistically gifted to be in the club. It’s more about self expression and making sure that people get the chance to express themselves throughout in our school.” Many students who do not plan on participating in Prism Night express excitement in seeing what their classmates have created. Prism Night is a fun event that everyone in the school community should try to participate in, whether on the stage or in the audience.